Stupid fish won't let the others eat???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

electromango

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have these platies and blue rams that LOVE to eat the cory catfish's food, to the point where the catfish are sometimes scared to go and eat them. How do I make sure they actually get their food? I got them the day before yesterday btw.

put more food in or try sinking foods or some way to place food at the bottom...I have heard others use turkey basters.

I use a mix of foods when I feed. Both flakes and sinking granules at opposite ends of the tank. The granules drop enough for the corys to eat while all the fish are distracted by the flakes.

What I do is if I notice my cory cats aren't getting anything to eat, I toss a couple sinking pellets into the water flow of my filter and that normally shoots past the fish I'm feeding up top like normal.

May the force be with you

I also supplement the normal flakes and pellets with blood worms and veggies. Those are harder for other fish to hog because they take longer than flakes to eat. :) Another option, try putting some in at night when the rams are resting.

I agree with getting the sinkers and using them at night. Algae tabs work well because the other fish usually get bored before they finish the whole thing XD

I actually do have hikari catfish sinking food... But the others still eat it up and the poor catfish eat the pieces that settle around them/leftovers. Any advice? How do I make them not find and eat their food? Thanks :)

Feed them at night when the lights are off. That usually works.

Or you can hide the food where only the cories find it. Like among plants or something.

Or you can soak the food, pinpoint a cory, and shoot it. XD

I pull the old flake and switch also, get my GBR's & SAE's to one side with flake then slip sinking wafers in on the other side. Two or three wafers together get the cories huddled over them and the others cant see what they're doing. Although, my smaller SAE will go deep cover and infiltrate the feeding circle after being chased away from the flake by his big brother...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I feed my cories before the lights come on. New Era brand catfish food sinks very quickly, and the cories love that stuff more than anything else I've put in the tank. I dump it in near their hideout under a large false rock where none of the other fish go.

I supplement with two algae wafers broken into four pieces each during the normal daily feeding. Splits the fish up enough to allow the cories to spread the love around.

Also, eventually your cories will liven up to the tank and more aggressively pursue the available food. They also appreciate consistency. They know exactly when I'm about to drop food in and they all come out!

I also have this problem. The more aggressive fish know that it's me who feeds them, so I stand on the one end of the tank, sprinkle some flakes in there, and then touch the water a few times with my finger, or with a chop-stick, to keep the bullies interested. Meanwhile, I reached over and plopped a sinking pellet in the other side.

The bullies do eventually realise there's food there as well, but it gives the cories a bit of a head-start. Soaking flakes and placing it (by hand) on the bottom near the cories also works. I find they are not so scared of my hand, for some reason, and come eat it right out of my fingers. That tickles! Meanwhile the bullies are kept busy attacking the beauty-spot on my arm. :)

So for the sake of this topic,I tried something out. I took a pinch of flake food and stuck in down in my substrate while none of the other fish saw me. I sat and watched for a minute when all my cory cats came near that area they went insane for it. So if you want to try that I think it works.

May the force be with you.

Back
Top Bottom