Stupid idea, or...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shawmutt

Aquarium Advice Addict
Against all odds, the sick cichlid is making a recovery and is now able to hide from the super-aggressive cichlid. I won't bore you with all the details once again, but here's the situation--the male kenyi has to go, into another tank or to the lfs. I have a 5 1/2 gallon tank and a 10 gallon tank, both with a full setup (filter, light, heater, etc.) , all I need is rocks and a bit of sand on the bottom. I use the 5 1/2 gallon for QT when needed, and use the 10 gallon to get my water ready for the main tank (add and dissolve salts, heat up, aerate). I really don't want to get rid of this cichlid, he's really a beautiful specimen but I can't have him killing all my other fish. With him gone, a yellow lab will most likely assume leadership, and they are definitely way less aggressive. I can also bump up the population a bit, probably getting 8-10 in total in the 30.

As usual, I am digressing.

My main question is this...which would be the better tank for the one cichlid, the 10 gallon or the 5? The max size of the fish is 5-6 inches, but I don't think he'll get that big, I don't feed them that often.

I want a balance of health for the fish, and aesthetic value. I don't want the tank to look empty. One idea I had was to make it a planted tank, but that would blow away the whole biotope ideal, and I have a feeling any plants would die in a tank with this cichlid. Whatever I do, I need to do it yesterday, for the benefit of my fish.

Any other ideas would definitely be appreciated. TIA!

Well, the obvious answer is the 10... until you can get him a bigger space. Yeah, the plants would get totally molested by the Kenyi :wink: You could try making a really beautiful rock and wood arrangement with Anubias spp. plants. These are native to Africa, and seem to be some of the few species that survive cichlids decently.

Put the Kenyi in the 10. Adding more fish to the main tank won't work, I fear this fish will continue his evil reign :evil:

Putting rocks in the 10 gal and get a synodontis that doesn't get too big. Such as Synodontis multipunctatus or S. petricola, both have nice looking spots and are from Lake Tang.

Back
Top Bottom