stupid jerkface gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cogburn

Aquarium Advice Freak
well i had my neon blue dwarf gourami in isolation because of a sore like thing i saw on his side... anyways... using stress coat and some aquarium salt he started looking alot better so i put him back in the general population... not 10 mins after i put him back in the mix the stupid dumb pink kissing gourami starts attacking him she was relentless... before i could even catch her to get her in isolation she killed him... man i was mad... so i have her isolated and she's going back to the lfs this weekend... im also returning my snakeskin gourami cuz without the pink one in there he's ALOT bigger than any other fish and started chasing around some of the smaller ones so... pinky "betty" and snakeskin "bill" are going back this weekend and im gonna look at either a ram... possibly another dwarf gourami... no more of the big ones... maybe some more tetras... not sure yet... im just very mad at betty right now... i really liked that little neon blue guy... oh well.. live and learn... PINK KISSING GOURAMIS ARE VERY AGGRESSIVE... just wanted to vent... thanks for listening... :silly:

Larry

Sorry Larry. ;( That is sad. These things happen though and you have added to your own volume of knowledge.
I have found Pearl Gouramis to be very peaceful. They are not much to look at as juvies but are quite stunning after a few months they get this irradescent sheen to them and the pearl like spots in thir fins really shine. Quite beautiful. :)

Neon dwarfs are cool too. :) I could never get them to survive very long due to a weak local stock. They always seemed to have a disease of somekind.

i have a dwarf flame right now... he is great... not one sign of aggression... maybe ill give pearls a look too... i heard pearls and opaline are usually peaceful... havent really decided what im gonna get yet... ill look around at what i like and then make a decision...

I tried the opaline gourami and found them to be MUCH more aggressive. The golden or "sunset" gourami and the pearl did very well together and while I had the dwarfs with them they never bothered them.

I have two blues, one of which is dominant and the other gets picked on but not to the point of injury or death. It stinks, and I was thinking of returning one to the LFS.

Would you return the dominant or submissive one? I think the problem is that they are two male ones.

I had a gold for a LONG time but it died, suddenly and unexpectedly, about two weeks ago. Very disappointing.

I love gouramis and they are one of my favorite fish. IN a community tank, are they compatable with bettas?

Dude that sucks. Doncha just wish you could jump in there and do something?

Blues are a bit more aggressive and one would probably be better than two unless you have a female then they would prob get along fine.
Personally I would return the dominant one if you are thinking of getting anything else, and add the new one quickly.
Sometimes it is a personality thing with the dominant fish (like the way some dogs are alpha and some are not)
In the long run every community has to establish a pecking order you just want to watch like you said for signs of injury and death.

I have never kept a betta in a community so I can't offer advice there but you could try and see. You never know. If you are ready to move him/her if there is a problem I don't see why you couldn't try it. :)

Dude that sucks. Doncha just wish you could jump in there and do something?

Yes! When my male Tex. Cichlid started killing the female I tried to introduce to him, I wanted to punch him! I'm still P.O.'d at him.

Blues are a bit more aggressive and one would probably be better than two unless you have a female then they would prob get along fine.
Personally I would return the dominant one if you are thinking of getting anything else, and add the new one quickly.
Sometimes it is a personality thing with the dominant fish (like the way some dogs are alpha and some are not)
In the long run every community has to establish a pecking order you just want to watch like you said for signs of injury and death.

I have never kept a betta in a community so I can't offer advice there but you could try and see. You never know. If you are ready to move him/her if there is a problem I don't see why you couldn't try it. :)

Yeah I think it is funny sometimes seeing the pecking order develop: SOme larger fish are big sissies, some smaller fish are just terrors, and other ones seem to be just completely exempt from having to "play" (plecos, cories, etc.).

im gonna get another blue... a pear and a sunset if they have them... i really do love the gouramis... and thats my plan unless something else cool looking and compatible catches my eye... i will be taking my handy dandy compatibility chart with me :)

yeah one of these days im gonna take some pics and figure out how to post em here

Male Bettas And Gouramis Will Fight Each Other. I Think I Read Somwhere That They Are From The Same Family.

well i went out today and got some fish... ended up abandoning the gourami plan... got a really cool zebra loach, 2 congo tetras and 5 red line rasboras... the rasboras were free because of the 2 gouramis i gave them... thought that was pretty cool... anywho... got them all aclimated and they are doing fine... ill try to take some pics and get them up for you guys cuz i know how you all love pics... im slightly concerned about the loach bothering my 2 bamboo shrimp cuz i know how they love to eat snails... but so far there hasnt been a problem... the cool thing is my 2 neons warmed right up to the rasboras and they all school together... its really cool seeing the school of the 7 fish swimming around... okay... im tired... bedtime... i love my new fish and dont miss that poophead gourami at all...

-Larry

Back
Top Bottom