Stupid PH Question lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flossie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I thought my PH was 8.2...
I checked my cycled aquarium and it looks like 7.4
Then I check the tap which I thought was 8.2 and now i'm not sure
I also check a cycling tank to see where it was...
I'm letting some water set... now so I can check it.

Heres a pic... of the three test.
one is from tap
one from cycled
one from cycling..
Im having a hard time telling the difference... ? One (probably the cycled ) does appear lighter to me! Im here to ask the pros. LOL

Im just worried about how this will affect my PWC if the cycled aquarium is only 7.4

BTW... i miss being able to upload photos from my phone... so much faster :(

Attachments

• DSCN0618.jpg
    DSCN0618.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 66
I thought my PH was 8.2...
I checked my cycled aquarium and it looks like 7.4
Then I check the tap which I thought was 8.2 and now i'm not sure
I also check a cycling tank to see where it was...
I'm letting some water set... now so I can check it.

Heres a pic... of the three test.
one is from tap
one from cycled
one from cycling..
Im having a hard time telling the difference... ? One (probably the cycled ) does appear lighter to me! Im here to ask the pros. LOL

Im just worried about how this will affect my PWC if the cycled aquarium is only 7.4

BTW... i miss being able to upload photos from my phone... so much faster :(

First off, there are no stupid questions and your question is a valid one IMO.

pH right out of the tap will generally be higher, so let it set a bit before you test it. Also remember to hold the T-tube up to the white strip of the scale card, if you don't the solution can look way off it's true scale.

BTW, I don't see any difference in the 3 tubes, but the pic is smallish on my phones browser.

pH right out of the tap will generally be higher, so let it set a bit before you test it. Also remember to hold the T-tube up to the white strip of the scale card, if you don't the solution can look way off it's true scale.

BTW, I don't see any difference in the 3 tubes, but the pic is smallish on my phones browser.

Thanks Mr. Limpet... I thought you were surely tired of me! LOL
okay so it possibly dropped from 8.2 to 7.4? If so what do I do with PWCs?

I should hold it against something white??? BC i have heard people say hold it in light... it appears different colors both ways :banghead:

I should hold it against something white??? BC i have heard people say hold it in light... it appears different colors both ways :banghead:

You might have misunderstood the light part and no, why I would I get tired of you? Glad to help :D.

Hold the T-tube up to the white part of the card next to the scale you're reading for (pH, ammo, etc), then hold that combo up to a good light source so that the light is shining "onto" the card and T-tube and make sure there's no shadow obscuring the liquid in the tube (I move mine back and forth until it's in the spot light as it were). Only then can you accurately gauge the reading/color level you're testing for.

Hope that makes sense lol.

Mr. Limpet said:
You might have misunderstood the light part and no, why I would I get tired of you? Glad to help :D.

Hold the T-tube up to the white part of the card next to the scale you're reading for (pH, ammo, etc), then hold that combo up to a good light source so that the light is shining "onto" the card and T-tube and make sure there's no shadow obscuring the liquid in the tube (I move mine back and forth until it's in the spot light as it were). Only then can you accurately gauge the reading/color level you're testing for.

Hope that makes sense lol.

Gotcha makes total since ;) thank u

Back
Top Bottom