Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-26-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Stupid Q: Freshwater coral?

I known this is a really stupid question, but, is there a such thing as freshwater coral? Don't make fun of me for asking, I'm a total livebearer keeper, so I know NOTHING about coral, lol.

God is light, in him there is no darkness at all. 1 John 1:5
Emi929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #2

Im going to have to say no.

Corals are marine organisms from the class Anthozoa and exist as small sea anemone-like polyps, typically in colonies of many identical individuals. The group includes the important reef builders that are found in tropical oceans, which secrete calcium carbonate to form a hard skeleton.

There is artificial coral though. Its not real or alive but looks close.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thank you! You are very smart! I'm gonna do some more research, not planning on buying, but just curious. Thanks!

God is light, in him there is no darkness at all. 1 John 1:5
Emi929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you are just interested in the LOOK of corals, there are some very realistically shaped fakes out there. Fosters and Smiths has some, but the colors seem wildly improbable (to me anyway). But I am not a salt-water person...they might be entirely accurate, for all I know!
Old 03-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbird
If you are just interested in the LOOK of corals, there are some very realistically shaped fakes out there. Fosters and Smiths has some, but the colors seem wildly improbable (to me anyway). But I am not a salt-water person...they might be entirely accurate, for all I know!
Haha that's the thing that I love about real corals.. They look like they have fake colors but are real. Check out mandarin dragonet and see the colors. It's a fish though lol
Old 03-03-2011, 09:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well there are coral like animals in freshwater. Bryozoans form calciferous skeletons and live colonially within a branching lps like form. Someone on APC had them.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crepe View Post
Well there are coral like animals in freshwater. Bryozoans form calciferous skeletons and live colonially within a branching lps like form. Someone on APC had them.
Absolutely fascinating!
Old 03-03-2011, 11:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tyspot had it right on. While there are freshwater Cnidarians (take Hydra, for instance), class Anthozoa (where the corals and anemones fall) is strictly marine. Don't be afraid to ask questions. The invertebrates are a confusing and spectacular array of organisms, with many existing in both freshwater and marine habitats.
Marconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:40 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yeh...freshwater coral isn't really a thing, plain and simple. If you want coral for a freshwater tank then you need to use artificial coral, which can still look pretty good - https://www.fishtankbank.com/freshwater-coral/

Tags
coral, freshwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com