Stupid Q: Freshwater coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emi929

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I known this is a really stupid question, but, is there a such thing as freshwater coral? Don't make fun of me for asking, I'm a total livebearer keeper, so I know NOTHING about coral, lol.

Im going to have to say no.

Corals are marine organisms from the class Anthozoa and exist as small sea anemone-like polyps, typically in colonies of many identical individuals. The group includes the important reef builders that are found in tropical oceans, which secrete calcium carbonate to form a hard skeleton.

There is artificial coral though. Its not real or alive but looks close.

Thank you! You are very smart! I'm gonna do some more research, not planning on buying, but just curious. Thanks!

If you are just interested in the LOOK of corals, there are some very realistically shaped fakes out there. Fosters and Smiths has some, but the colors seem wildly improbable (to me anyway). But I am not a salt-water person...they might be entirely accurate, for all I know!

glassbird said:
If you are just interested in the LOOK of corals, there are some very realistically shaped fakes out there. Fosters and Smiths has some, but the colors seem wildly improbable (to me anyway). But I am not a salt-water person...they might be entirely accurate, for all I know!

Haha that's the thing that I love about real corals.. They look like they have fake colors but are real. Check out mandarin dragonet and see the colors. It's a fish though lol

Well there are coral like animals in freshwater. Bryozoans form calciferous skeletons and live colonially within a branching lps like form. Someone on APC had them.

Tyspot had it right on. While there are freshwater Cnidarians (take Hydra, for instance), class Anthozoa (where the corals and anemones fall) is strictly marine. Don't be afraid to ask questions. The invertebrates are a confusing and spectacular array of organisms, with many existing in both freshwater and marine habitats.

Yes, according to Quran 55:19-23, both seas (meaning freshwater and seawater), have pearls and corals.

And this has recently been proven. The discovery of a massive coral reef in the Amazon river in 2016 shocked the entire world of science. Dated samples presented radiocarbon calibrated age of more than 13,300 years before present (BP). The report of this discovery was also published on CNN (with the title "Massive coral reef discovered in the Amazon River"), with a link referring to the original source, journal Science.

Hope this helps.:)

No coral in fresh water. Amazon coral reef is in the Amazon's delta, in the Atlantic Ocean. Coral can be very ornate and beautiful but doesn't fit the freshwater environment, it can also raise the pH, however it's up to you. If you must, there are some fake corals like stuff you can use in your freshwater tank that won't affect your water.

Back
Top Bottom