Stupid Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dragonmommy....

The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked.

Brackish water is water that has more salt content than freshwater but not as much as sea water. This kind of environment is typically found in areas where rivers empty into the ocean (estuaries).

Salinity in water is commonly expressed in specific gravity values. Pure water (distilled) has a specific gravity of 1.000. Salt water has a specific gravity that generally ranges between 1.020 - 1.024 (though this varies a bit depending on location). Brackish water typcally has a specific gravity in the 1.002 - 1.008 range so you can see that is lies between pure distilled water and sea water.

There are a number of types of fish that thrive in brackish environments. Some of the more common are mollies, scats, many gobies (including bumblebee gobies and the so-called dragon eel that many large chain pet stores are selling), archer fish, monos, and some catfish like the 'shark' catfish.

Hope this helps a bit,

-Joe

Oh that helps a lot, thank you! So its like delta water, cool. I may have to try one of those someday. I honestly want to try saltwater but not till I meet someone local so I can see how its done, I am a hands-on type person.

which salt do you use for brakish water ??

do you use the freshwater salt (the salt used to treat disease)
or
the salt used for 'saltwater' tanks ??

and what is the salt called that I buy for brakish water ?

you use the same salt as they use for saltwater tanks.. artifical ocean salt mix..
Instant Ocean.. and the maker of the tank in my sig. are popular.. :p

thanks - i'll keep those brands in mind if ever I go marine!!
(I would love seahorses one day)

Fluff (Cindy) just got some not too long ago.. :p
she posted about it in the SW general discussion area..
I would really bone up on the books though.. they need very good water conditions.. HTH

Lol I was wondering that today too, I thought it had to do something with salt but I was to lazy to look it up

Dragonmommy said:
seahorses!!!! OMG I would love to have them someday! I have a lot to learn first though

they look soooooooooooooooo cOOL !!!
they hover and move like bettas/ghost knife, and they like tall tanks.

Such pretty fish.
I saw them at my pet store and they were wrapping their tail around the sails of a sunken pirate ship ornament.
It looked amazing !!

Awwww, someday i will have seahorses... lol maybe when i hit the lottery! I wish we had a real fish store locally I could go browse.

Dragonmommy said:
Awwww, someday i will have seahorses... lol maybe when i hit the lottery! I wish we had a real fish store locally I could go browse.

i'm very hesistant to buy them myself because they cost like $50 minimum each.

that's expensive for me, and my store ONLY has a 1 week warranty policy (if a fish dies they will replace it)

im scared to spend that much for a fish, as it would be very risky

Back
Top Bottom