Stupid Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sparkie

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can someone tell me the definition of "Brackish"? Like I said stupid question, but not sure of the true def., I do have a thought, just wanted to check.

TIA

Not totally sure myself; came to the understanding that it's part saltwater. Just not sure the exact ratio.
Buddy of mine told me something about where rivers flow into the ocean, something...

"Brackish water contains between 0.5 and 30 grams of salt per litre—more often expressed as 0.5 to 30 parts per thousand (ppt or ‰). Thus, brackish covers a range of salinity regimes and is not considered a precisely defined condition. It is characteristic of many brackish surface waters that their salinity can vary considerably over space and/or time."

Taken from here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brackish

-Pleco

My laymans explaination:

Where the river meets the sea....some salt some fresh...brackish is the in between,to whatever degree in either direction.If its not one or the other its brackish.

Or lightly salted if you will lol.

the ratio of bw water is 5 Tablespoons for every 10 gallons of water. i should note that if a bw fish has been living in fw, you CANNOT dump them into brack water, they will die of shock, quickly. they must be acclimated slowly.

I would think 5 tablespoons per 10 gallons would be pretty light brackish. When I kept a brackish tank it was much closer to 1 Tbsp per gallon.

How can you measure brackish water by the amount of salt you put in?

I find that a little misleading. You use what you need to use to get to the required parameters.

How can you measure brackish water by the amount of salt you put in?

A hydrometer that measures low enough salinity should be used in a brackish tank.

Back
Top Bottom