Stupid Son in law. or Is is possible to keep male Betta's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dralarms

Aquarium Advice Addict
My idiot son in law got 3 male Betta's from my son, they have been in the little bowls for a month or so, Once he got them home he released them into his 30 gal tank. Said they kinda looked at each other, flared for a min. and then divided the tank into 3 sections. Now my question is will they be ok together or is he asking for the death of 2 if not all 3 of them? No other fish in the tank will bother them. Couple of cory cats, a couple of glass fish and one or 2 female betta's. Everything I have been told is they will fight to the death. But so far they are happy with the extra running room they have. :roll:

They may get along if theres enough space, but no guarantees. I think they'll be fine until one oversteps his boundaries, then all hell will break lose, especially since there are females in there to fight over.

They may also not make it, if the water parameters from the bowls to the tank are very different (especially pH); tell him to keep a close eye on them for both reasons.

I think he is asking for trouble. From my rather limited experience, Bettas like to explore and control more and more of the tank once they get comfortable with their surroundings. They are likely happy with their area for now, but at some point they will start trying to expand and the fighting will start.

Thanks, I thought so but you can't tell kids (well he is 22) anything. What about putting 1 male in my 55 gal, I have 3 of them, I could put one in for a couple of weeks and then swap them around. They seem happy in the 1 gal tanks I have but I thought they might enjoy a little more room once in a while. Got plenty of females for them to chase :lol: .

All of that movement back and forth and the big net always coming from above might get stressful

The ratio of three males to 2 females will inevitably lead to someones death and it could be the girls.

With the Betta's I don't use a net, they swim right up into my hand, and I have 11 female betta's in my 55 gal. I think he might be the one that's outnumbered. :lol:

And I was only thinking of 1 in the tank at a time. Put one in there for a week or 2 and then swap him out for one of the others.

Bettas are very territorial and I think it would strees out the fish to keep losing his home and trying to reestablish himself only to be moved again and start over again.

Bettas are very territorial and I think it would strees out the fish to keep losing his home and trying to reestablish himself only to be moved again and start over again

That I hadn't thought about. Ok so if I move one into the 55 gal he gets to stay (with all those females, boy will he ever be mad at me). :lol:

you said he also had 2 female bettas in with the three males? whew yeah thats asking for a buncha deaths.. and the one thats left will probably be severly injured.. but they DO have diff. personalities so i cant say for an ABSOULTE fact but almost postive that some will die...

Yea, sorry I had forgot that, seems to be getting along for now but he has been warned. :roll: Seems that some people like to do stupid stuff. :roll: . I'll keep my Male batta's in their 1 gal tanks for now, I may put 1 in the 55 gal but haven't decided yet.

Back
Top Bottom