Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DannyBWell

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm thinking of switching to gravel I don't like how my water clouds up with sand is there any god better best substrate?

Sand will not cloud your water, if you rinse it well enough it should not, I have had sand in my 75 gallon tank for three months With no problem whatsoever ,crystal clear water

I do rinse my sand but when adding sand it has a tendency to Cloud up and when I'm cleaning the tank maybe not rinsed well enough?

Some species of fish do best with a sand substrate; however, I must say, I do not like using sand in my tanks. It's a pain to keep clean and it usually develops anaerobic pockets (when not kept with burrowing fish). Furthermore, fish can cause quite the stir up and cause the sand to enter the water column, and eventually the filter.

I know I'm going to hear it from the sand enthusiasts...

Any dark-colored regular aquarium gravel or equivalent plant substrate works well.

David

Some species of fish do best with a sand substrate; however, I must say, I do not like using sand in my tanks. It's a pain to keep clean and it usually develops anaerobic pockets (when not kept with burrowing fish). Furthermore, fish can cause quite the stir up and cause the sand to enter the water column, and eventually the filter.

I know I'm going to hear it from the sand enthusiasts...

Any dark-colored regular aquarium gravel or equivalent plant substrate works well.

David

That's what I thought about switching to a dark gravel or more likely the plant substrate since I have two plants now and am getting more

That's what I thought about switching to a dark gravel or more likely the plant substrate since I have two plants now and am getting more
I'm a sand man!!. As was said, you didn't wash it well enough beforehand. No good to you now. It was said it's too hard to keep clean, maybe because all the dirt stays on the top. This should encourage you do do more vacing. With gravel, it's easy to miss a vac day or two, it's not as noticeable.....

Yeah, I can stir my sand around in my tanks and it settles in less than 5 sec and usually less than that. What fish do you have? Also, you have to be aware that you BB is stored in your substrate too..so if you do change it make sure you keep the same filter going too.

I prefer sand much, MUCH more than the gravel I used to have. Yes with sand it will cloud your water if you didn't rinse it first, and yes sand will show more of the gunk because it rests on top(makes it easier to get out) but if you've ever made the switch from gravel to sand you actually realize how much gunk is left hidden inside the gravel even with good regular vacs. It's seriously disgusting, I can't even think about the time I changed from gravel to sand without gagging a little

Yeah, I can stir my sand around in my tanks and it settles in less than 5 sec and usually less than that. What fish do you have? Also, you have to be aware that you BB is stored in your substrate too..so if you do change it make sure you keep the same filter going too.
I agree, washing it really really well gets rid of the sand that floats and clouds the water. The clouding is also dirt in the sand....

I prefer sand much, MUCH more than the gravel I used to have. Yes with sand it will cloud your water if you didn't rinse it first, and yes sand will show more of the gunk because it rests on top(makes it easier to get out) but if you've ever made the switch from gravel to sand you actually realize how much gunk is left hidden inside the gravel even with good regular vacs. It's seriously disgusting, I can't even think about the time I changed from gravel to sand without gagging a little

^^ yup, and for fish like cories and things it is almost essential. Also makes finding good easier to eat/find.

Back
Top Bottom