substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gail

Aquarium Advice Activist
I would like to remove the gravel substrate in my 19 gallon tank and put in glass colored marbles. Will removing the gravel cause any problems, should I do it a little at a time or can I remove all the gravel?

gail

Yea, you can do it all at one time, I'm changing to sand in my 29 gallon and this is what I'm doing
Putting all my fish in a 5 gallon bucket with a heater and an air stone, then in changing the substrate, filling it up, what like 2 hours for the water to acclimate and the beneficial bacteria from the filter to spread, and slowly put the fish back in the tank!

It would probably be easier to remove all decorations and fish into buckets and switch it out then to switch it out in parts. You may experience a mini cycle. Soo keep on top of your water testing and water changes! Putting some of your old gravel into a panty hose and leaving it in your tank for a while after can help the beneficial bacteria to repopulate.

Im sorry I meant than. It would be easier to remove everything out of the tank to remove gravel THAN to leave everything in and switch in little bits. Sorry for the miscommunication error. Guess I need to start error checking my posts haha.

For anyone that cares, this was a huge project. I changed the substrate in my 19 gallon and 47 (bow front) this weekend. Had I known this project was going to be this huge I probably wouldn't have done it. However, the tanks are so beautiful and it was worth the time and effort. Thanks to Wade for wiping the tank water off the floor after the project was completed.

Back
Top Bottom