Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishninja

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys I am planning a 55 gallon

I am getting polka dot loaches
A rainbow shark
And tiger barbs

I need help with what the best substrate would be. And if it is sand how do you guys suggest cleaning it

Put it in buckets, soak with water, stir it up, then dump out the water/dust and stuff, but leave the sand in the bucket, then fill it up again and repeat until the water is clean.

I know that but u siphon gravel so how do you clean it when it gets dirty

I know that but u siphon gravel so how do you clean it when it gets dirty
Just hover your gravel vac over the poop.

Easier way to clean sand: put it in a plastic bottle (2 liter pop bottle is what I did)
Put pop bottle in tank UPRIGHT, and wait for it to fill up with water (it will stop bubbling).
Dump the sand out and all the cloudiness and floaty sand will stay in the bottle

So a monthly clean is done by hovering over the sand and picking up poop right

yes, you can use methylene blue with the sand and hot water to stearliize it once it rinses clear, and yes you just hover over the sand about 3 inches and let the suction suck up the poo. Do a 25% change once a week on your day off. Its really not that hard with a python. And your fish will be happier/healthier. Especially if its newly setup tank make sure you add Stress zyme to kick start the bio filter bed.

yes, you can use methylene blue with the sand and hot water to stearliize it once it rinses clear, and yes you just hover over the sand about 3 inches and let the suction suck up the poo. Do a 25% change once a week on your day off. Its really not that hard with a python. And your fish will be happier/healthier. Especially if its newly setup tank make sure you add Stress zyme to kick start the bio filter bed.

Another person from omaha! I only know of 3 other people on this forum.

Never heard if sterilizing the sand:p! But that doesn't mean you can!

Back
Top Bottom