Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deano320

Aquarium Advice Regular
Soo i just bought another juwel 180 tank yesterday which is going to home a pair of elliotti cichlids and a group of cardinals hopefully! The question is what substrate and colour?? :) any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I love sand. Color is up to you. I have one tank with black sand and the other two have natural color (tan or beige). I have convicts in the black sand tank but since they are black and the sand is black, it just doesnt look right. So I would not recommend black sand with black fish, lol.

Thanks! Yea i edging towards black sand as i think it would really show off the colours of the fish and plants!! Is there any black sand you wou recommend or any sands to avoid?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My local shop had Estes brand. Think the bag was labeled as Stony River. Bought it in 5lb bags across 3 different stores in the same day, lol. I think they make a 50lb bag as well but my stores only had the 5lb bags so I got a bunch of those. The grain size was perfect, and it was nice and clean. Still rinse it out though before putting in tank.

I have cardinals with black substrate (not sand) but the effect is very good. The Elliotti should also look good. Unfortunately the Corys don't stand out so well but I think they are more comfortable with the darker substrate and plenty of plant cover.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom