Substrate change a possiblity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vicksta

Aquarium Advice Activist
Throwing a random one out there....

Is it possible to change out the substate in an established tank?

I have standard gravel in a rather fetching blue colour. After my significant other had filled the tank for me I discovered the 2" thick gravel was causing me issues when it came time to vacuum. I have removed some of it so it is now about 1" thick.

I am hoping to change this out at some point to something more natural looking, either pea gravel looking stuff or sand.

Is it possible to remove all the substrate and replace it without causing too many problems for my fish or tank?

Also any suggestions for particular sand?
Will I have to put foam into my filter intake to prevent the sand from being sucked up?

You potentially face huge problems with your beneficial bacteria and your biological filter. The majority of your beneficial bacteria live on your gravel due to the greater surface area and the fact that much of what they feed on is in the gravel.

You may go through another cycling period which could have consequences for your fish. I would not recommend a gravel change in an established tank or at the the most do a partial gavel change. Change maybe half at a time and wait about four weeks between changes.

Vicksta said:

I have standard gravel in a rather fetching blue colour. After my significant other had filled the tank for me I discovered the 2" thick gravel was causing me issues when it came time to vacuum. I have removed some of it so it is now about 1" thick.

I am hoping to change this out at some point to something more natural looking, either pea gravel looking stuff or sand.

Is it possible to remove all the substrate and replace it without causing too many problems for my fish or tank?

Will I have to put foam into my filter intake to prevent the sand from being sucked up?

I've done it many times to my 36 g. I started out with blue gravel and decided to switch to floramax. All i did was kept my filters running so it could clean while making a mess and junk then added the floramax after I rinsed it. I didn't remove any fish either, I kept em in. After everything was done, I didn't experience no small cycle or change in parameters since your bb lives mostly in your filter. That's my experience.

Providing your intake is a minim of an inch above the sand you shouldn't have to many problems. Remember when placing sand to turn of your filter for an hour or two to allow it to settle. Otherwise it will look cloudy and will clog your filter.

I agree that you will get rid of bacteria when you change, however I have changed successfully with our issue. Just keep an eye on your nitrates, you may have to up your water changes for a bit.

Be aware that if you go with sand all the dirt shows on top of it so regular vacuuming is essential. Also you should gently move the sand about once every month or do to release gas build ups.

How ever I personally like the look of sand in the tank, and some fish even benefit from it. It's defiantly worth the extra work.

The best sand to buy is regular play sand. Aquarium sand can be well expensive here £20 bag, play sand is only £2.99 a bag 15kg. Wash well before you put in the tank .

Good luck

There is bacteria in the gravel bed, but the majority of your nitrifiers are found in the filter media. If you are running an UGF this is a different story, but if you are using a power filter or canister filter then it's really not as big of a deal. If it's a concern you can just change out half of the substrate at a time, but personally I'd just swap it out and then test regularly for the following week or two to make sure you are on top of any potential minicycle.

fishdud said:
I've done it many times to my 36 g. I started out with blue gravel and decided to switch to floramax. All i did was kept my filters running so it could clean while making a mess and junk then added the floramax after I rinsed it. I didn't remove any fish either, I kept em in. After everything was done, I didn't experience no small cycle or change in parameters since your bb lives mostly in your filter. That's my experience.

So did you take out any water? After you were completely done changing the substrate, how long was the water 'dirty'? Btw, I'm thinking about switching to sand soon, so this is interesting.

Currently I am using a canister filter as of today... yay me.

This is nothing I am doing immediatly but in the next few weeks I would love to achieve this.

The blue gravel has run it's course.

I really love the look of sand, thanks for the heads up on the height adjustment needed to clear the top level of sand.

Could I also use regular pea gravel, like garden center stuff?

It's about time to update the tank and a more natural substrate I think is the best place to start...

Might get adventerous one of these days and actually look into some real plants.

Tetra1990 said:
So did you take out any water? After you were completely done changing the substrate, how long was the water 'dirty'? Btw, I'm thinking about switching to sand soon, so this is interesting.

Only water I took out was the water that was getting scooped up along with the gravel. If i remember correctly, the water was only dirty/cloudy for a few hours since the bag came with a packet of water clearifier

fishdud said:
Only water I took out was the water that was getting scooped up along with the gravel. If i remember correctly, the water was only dirty/cloudy for a few hours since the bag came with a packet of water clearifier

Did you fish seem stressed out with all the in-tank activity? I hope you didn't loose any.

Others may disagree with me, but the majority of your beneficial bacteria live in the gravel. You may have to do more partial water changes, but the majority of your bacteria do not live in filter media. They live in the gravel.

Tetra1990 said:
Did you fish seem stressed out with all the in-tank activity? I hope you didn't loose any.

Not at all. I thought they would be after everything but in the end they were completely fine!

So maybe more of a scoop up the gravel and push it to one side, put in either some new gravel or sand, give it a week or two, scoop out say a third of the gravel, rescoop remainder to a new heap and more, so on an so fourth until it is all replaced.

How long would a good guestimate be for the subtrate growing it's own good stuff?

I am in no major rush, although completing a project in a weekend seems exciting I am happy for it to take a while if needed.

So maybe more of a scoop up the gravel and push it to one side, put in either some new gravel or sand, give it a week or two, scoop out say a third of the gravel, rescoop remainder to a new heap and more, so on an so fourth until it is all replaced.

How long would a good guestimate be for the subtrate growing it's own good stuff?

I am in no major rush, although completing a project in a weekend seems exciting I am happy for it to take a while if needed.

The plan you have is fine. I think you could replace a quarter of the gravel at a time. Make sure to do tests. I would wait a week between gravel changes. Beneficial bacteria live throughout your aquarium but the surface are of the gravel and or substrate and the fact that wastes go to the bottom mean that bacteria are going to be in greater numbers in your substrate.

I used a combination of pool filter sand and floramax. Pool filter sand is about $6 for a 50lb bag at Home Depot.

Penncentralfan said:
Others may disagree with me, but the majority of your beneficial bacteria live in the gravel. You may have to do more partial water changes, but the majority of your bacteria do not live in filter media. They live in the gravel.

This is incorrect, there is numerous references to the contrary. I can cite some if needed.

You are welcome to explain what leads you to your conclusion as well.

Penncentralfan said:
The plan you have is fine. I think you could replace a quarter of the gravel at a time. Make sure to do tests. I would wait a week between gravel changes. Beneficial bacteria live throughout your aquarium but the surface are of the gravel and or substrate and the fact that wastes go to the bottom mean that bacteria are going to be in greater numbers in your substrate.

Nitrifiers do not eat solid waste, they eat nitrogenous waste. Another type of bacteria breaks down organics. Circulating water means that ammonia, for example, is evenly distributed throughout the tank.

Vicksta said:

I do use sand. I did add a sponge over my intake. Keeps my shrimp safe and my filter clear.

How large a tank ??
What fish ?

I would do it, just watch your parameters. YMMV.

It is a 40g currently housing two rather expensive fairground goldfish, three tertra, five tiger barbs and two bn plecos.

I shall be checking out the Depot on my next trip.

As long as you dont have an undergravel filter IMO you will be fine. I did it for my 26 gallon and I didnt even have a mini-cycle. I also had a mesh bag of old gravel in there for a week. BB spreads pretty fast. At worst you might have to check your params and do a couple extra water changes for a couple weeks.

I switched out the gravel in my 92 gal tank with Tahitian sand. I left the fish in the tank. It has been about three weeks now with no ill affects.

Back
Top Bottom