Substrate Depth Planted vs. Non-Planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corrado33

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, I searched and found threads here and there about this, but I figured I'd make a concise thread.

I just started hardscaping my 20 gallon today, and I was putting the 3 bags of fluorite that seachem suggested in, and it came out to about 5 inches of substrate!! This was obviously too much, so I took a bunch out, and now I'd say the substrate is about 3 inches above the bottom rim (so probably 4 inches total.)

So, for planted tanks I've read that 3 inches is what to aim for (in fact that's what seachem says too I believe.) Is this true? Is is basically to let the plants take root and what not? Is 4 inches too much? Am I basically wasting substrate by putting that much in my tank. Aka could I take an inch out an use it in another tank?

And for non planted tanks it's pretty much anything goes right?

Just thought I'd make a nice search friendly thread for everyone.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm at 3 inches. But the thread is still a good idea.

I keep my sand at about 3 inches in areas where my blood parrot isnt digging, but my gravel is about 2 inches so id say your right on track between 3 and 4 regardless of planted or not.

2-4 inch is about average. i know people who have gone 5+ inch and some who done 1 inch. a good idea isnt to keep the whole substrate level but make a slop that adds depth. a lot has to do with with you are keeping. if you have swords a deeper substrate would be better for the root system. if you keeping anubias java ferns the depth wont matter.

Two inches of that expensive stuff is enough. If you have many stem plants, you don't even need that much. It doesn't have to be leveled either. Deeper for areas that are for rooted plants.

I use ADA and never did more than 2 inches.

Back
Top Bottom