Substrate for Corys?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spongebobson

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello guys, Would it be ok for a Corydoras sp to have a bare bottom tank? or Does it need some substrate if so What's the best?
Thanks

D

They will be ok in a bare bottom. If you want a substrate, no sharp gravel. Small river rock gravel is fine (the small stuff) or sand is even better.

I might buy some Corys, preferly more than 3, they will share a 29 gallons tank with guppy fry, Would they be ok? Where do I buy sand? Lowes? home depot?
Thanks

D

If you are going with sand, I think the safest from what I've read on these forums (not from personal experience--I have gravel) is to get pool filter sand from a pool supply store.

I've got 4 corys in a sandy bottom tank, and they're actually fun to watch. They'll find a patch of sand, suck it in, and sand will blow out of their gill vents like some sort of snow blower. I must assume they are getting what they want out of it and blowing the rest out. They constantly change the shape of the bottom of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom