Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-22-2003, 03:07 PM   #1

Substrate Heating cables...

So, my tank was massivly overgrown, decided to do a major re-do. Pulling up a huge bunch of crypts, teasing them out of the gravel as best I could, pulled up a couple of loops of substrate heating coil. Many curse word then issued forth from me

Called the folks i purchased them from, they said it would be ok to push them back into the gravel. However, the initial instrucions they sent me said the cables must not touch, or they could short out. What to do, what to do???

Since I now have 4 other tanks with no substrate heating, and those tanks do just fine, i decided to pull up the cables. Better safe than sorry, no interest in burning down my house!

Removed ALL plants, waiting for water to clear, will remove all fish and redecorate and plant.

Very glad I have 3 large Rubbermaid containers, won't have to use too much new water.

Soo much work....
Old 07-22-2003, 06:49 PM   #2

Continued dialog with self, Lots 'o work, but I'm diggin' the results! I can see through the tank again, (haven't seen my cories for weeks, still fat and happy! everone has swimming room, and I have more of the plants i really like!

Time for frosty beverage! :P
Old 07-23-2003, 09:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Deliverme314
right on! Yeah I dont use heating cables and really havent heard of any tanks "GREATLY" benefiting from them... man I wish I could steal some of your plants.

Question... all your tanks are planted right? How do you do your Co2? I want all of my future tanks to be planted but dont want to spend anopther $450 tank for all my Co2 requirements... yours all DIY?
Luke 6:28
Deliverme314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 09:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

**** Corv, sounds like a lot of work. Got an update for us?

Hey Deliverme314. You don't need to spend that much money on a Co2 kit. You can either go DIY which will cost you around $20 or so. Or you could inject. Check this out http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...=6&pCatId=3748

When I get tired of refilling my Hagen Co2 units, I will buy one of these products.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:34 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

CC you are a patient guy...just makes me all tense thinking about it.

Hope all is going well for you
Louise
Old 07-24-2003, 09:22 AM   #6

All is well so far, but when a heavily planted tank undergoes a major disruption like this, I will not be surprised if there is an algae outbreak, or something else unanticipated.

my 90 is high pressure CO2, the rest are diy. Getting sick of diy, sometime in the next 6 months will hopefully get high pressure for the rest. the rest are in one room in the basement, so i should be able to run them all from one system.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Deliverme314
How can you run them all from one system? With a PH controller? And what is needed in general? I would like all my future tanks to be planted as well... but dread the idea of dropping all the dough on new systems for each.
Luke 6:28
Deliverme314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 08:32 PM   #8

Haven't totally researched it, but there are brass gang valves (and needle valves) designed for this, and I know other folks on another board have done multiple aq's from one Tank/regulator.

Tags
eat, eating, heating, substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com