Substrate is destroying my Corys barbells

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach_fresh

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have a planted tank with flourite mixed with just regular gravel. i noticed today that my corys barbells are starting to shrink. i remeber they did this once before in my 10 gallon(that just had regular gravel) and they grew back fine. i cant get rid of thr flourite and i dont wanna give up my cory cats, what should i do? just treat with Melafix everytime the degenerate????

Is there any way you would consider switching to either less jagged gravel or sand?

when you rub it between your fingers does it hurt? not exactly hurt, but like, does it feel sharp?

ive heard a low ph could wear them away too

Melafix does help with regrowth, but unless you remove the problem, I don't see how it will benefit them in the long run.

it also might be the level of toxins in your tank or that they aren't getting a varied diet. What are your water perameters and what do you feed them?

I doubt the gravel is doing this. I had corys lose barbells in a bare bottom tank and it was due to disease...... Took a while to work it out too.

Back
Top Bottom