Substrate: None, Some or a Lot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All bottom dwelling fish appreciate a sand substrate, including plecos. BNPs are ok with plants. Common plecos get too large and are pooping machines due to their long intestines. I also second the crypt recommendations. They grow really well in my tank.

Bill, I'll tell you, real plants are a little more maintenance, but they are so nice and fish really enjoy them I believe. I see mine foraging for food among them often. And depending on the fish, many use the plants for shelter to hide or sleep in. I have 4 pearl gourami which I love and they are much more comfortable with a planted tank. Also my Cardinal tetras spend much of their time swimming among my Amazon swords. I also like sand. Good luck and have fun.

Okay great stuff. You are all such enablers.

I stated out thinking the barest possible tank and some of you supported that thought. However most have twisted my mental arm with such ideas that I won't be satisfied until I have the full genuine habitat for the little critters. I seem to agree with all of what you have suggested. I think the selling point to me was looking at the plants you suggested and seeing how great they look compared to the plastic article.

So now I must convince the warden:
largest tank possible! - laying vacant to cycle (something I've never done before)
sand substrate!!
real plants!!!

Well I'll take my time and get it right like I've been taught. Progress might be slow as a result.

Thank you all for your input.

Minimum substrate preferred. I have run bare bottom tanks with large rocks/stones before they are wonderful to keep clean. not as pleasing to the eyes however.

Minimum substrate preferred. I have run bare bottom tanks with large rocks/stones before they are wonderful to keep clean. not as pleasing to the eyes however.

Did you have plants .....or really bare?

:) Can't resist chiming in my 2 cents.

Easy plants as mentioned are not really ANY maintenance.

Java Fern and Anubias - 0 work after getting the right spot picked out. A normal plant light is all that is required. If you have CFL tube light make sure it is a plant rated light and if it isn't then buy a new bulb, save the old one in case you ever need it. There are full spectrum plant lights. like this...
Fluorescent Aquarium Lighting: Zoo Med Ultra Sun Trichromatic Fluorescent Bulbs

Sand is great. You can also make a point to occassionally stir the substrate with a chop stick if you see any too dark spots forming.

Sand does indeed store BB (beneficial bacteria), so there is still reason to have it in your tank.

Bare bottom is reflective too and some fish freak out big time over that.

If getting sand, consider getting a pre filter sponge to attach to your intake which can help keep kicked up sand particles out of your filter.

You can add some pebbles, they offer them in smaller bags to accent the decor/scape. A rock off center and a couple chucks of DW, to and fro. People will be amazed at your tank. You can do this gradually in stages if you need to financially or because you are having a hard time deciding.

Look at an inspiration tank and try to recreate. Or look at some nature pics of river beds and streams to see how things lay out. Visit a good independent local fish store (lfs) and see what types of stones and DW they have to offer for further inspiration.

For instance you do not normally see a rounded rock sitting on top of sand. It is nestled into the sand like the sand was washed away from it. A Natural type look.

If you have a few bucks to spend, go for CaribSea SuperNaturals. There are different colors - basically a white, (hard to keep clean looking cause poop is not white), natural sandy brownish, all the way to black, other variations depending upon the type of sand you want.

https://www.caribsea.com/caribsea_super-naturals.html

This group has BB and no need to rinse AT ALL, because the liquid goes right in with it. Open and pour in. Super easy. Rinsing construction or play sand sucks.
CaribSea Instant Aquarium
https://www.caribsea.com/caribsea_instant_aquarium.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom