Substrate options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coyne

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im setting up a 20L Community tank that will be lightly planted and low-tech. I'll only be adding low-light plants such as anubias and mosses.

I happen to have an extra bag of FloraMax, enough for a 1" layer, and a lot of left over black blasting sand.

Would it be better to layer them (and if so, which one on top and bottom), or just mix them together?
Or another option Im tossing around would be to just pick up more FloraMax or Eco-Complete, but Id rather not buy another bag if the sand I already have will suffice.

Im setting up a 20L Community tank that will be lightly planted and low-tech. I'll only be adding low-light plants such as anubias and mosses.

I happen to have an extra bag of FloraMax, enough for a 1" layer, and a lot of left over black blasting sand.

Would it be better to layer them (and if so, which one on top and bottom), or just mix them together?
Or another option Im tossing around would be to just pick up more FloraMax or Eco-Complete, but Id rather not buy another bag if the sand I already have will suffice.

You could layer it. I would do sand on bottom flora on top. It will end up that way no matter what probably eventually so may as well.

Thanks.. I think that way will make it easier for me to create an upward slope towards the back as well.

I also just found half (maybe less) a bag of black aquarium gravel. Now I have something else to consider. :lol:

Hello Coy...

As long as all the material is recommended for aquarium use, you can mix it. In time, with all the water changes and such, it will be a little mixed anyway. The easy to keep plants you're going to have can be attached to a piece of driftwood or lava rock with dark sewing thread and don't require putting into the substrate. They'll grow fine just sitting on top.

B

I was actually thinking of attaching one of the smaller varieties of anubias to the driftwood I'll be placing in the tank. I wasnt originally planning on planting anything in the substrate, but when I found the bag of FloraMax I figured Id use it just in case I changed my mind.

Back
Top Bottom