Substrate switch ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to admit, that Tahitian Moon sand is pretty awesome looking. I have it in a small tank and it is gorgeous. And easy to clean. It even grows good plants, though of course I feed them. They seem to like the texture of it better than gravel.

+1 for TMS :)

Tried the black blasting sand and it reeked of oil, so I tossed it and bit the bullet to buy TMS. Love it.

Sounds like it worth to just pay the little extra and get the TMS.

What is the best way to rinse the sand and to put it in the tank????

I do not plan to drain the tanks. Just plan to me every thing to one side and remove that gravel and put sand in. Then do the same thing on the other side.

Sounds like it worth to just pay the little extra and get the TMS.

What is the best way to rinse the sand and to put it in the tank????

I do not plan to drain the tanks. Just plan to me every thing to one side and remove that gravel and put sand in. Then do the same thing on the other side.

For gravel removal, its best to drain because there is soo much poo that gets stuck under it all.

Iron slag blasting sand is dangerous.

But if you can find coal slag blasting sand, it's the same thing as TMS.

I don't know if it was coal or iron, but I bought Black Diamond blasting from tractor supply. Even after and hour of rinsing, there was an oil slick on the water and a strong smell. It was awful. I had to scrub my hands and arms several times with dawn to get the residue off.

Back
Top Bottom