Substrate switch ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velksfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I currently have white gravel in my 55 gallon tank. I am seriously thinking about switching it out because it is starting to get pretty stained. I would like to replace it with another color of gravel. My levels are all fine, it just isn't looking the best.

Is this a good idea? Is there a way to do it without emptying the tank? If so, what is the best way to do it?

You really can't take out gravel without emptying the tank. If you really don't want to empty the tank then maybe you can put a different gravel OVER the old gravel.

Ok I took a look at it and very helpful.

I plan to replace with gravel. I have never had sand and not sure how tough it is to keep clean?!

Is it easy to keep clean. I just use a gravel vacuum will it suck the sand thru it ?

Is it easy to keep clean. I just use a gravel vacuum will it suck the sand thru it ?

You use a gravel vac 1" above the surface of the sand. Its better then gravel because poo doesnt get stuck inside the sand. If you do it, lowes or home depot sells pool filter sand for 5 $ for a 50lb bag. Make sure you wash it like crazy before you put it in your tank

Switch to a quality Sand substrate, and you'll never look at Gravel again!
Black brings out the most color, I just switched from Naturals white to Carib Tahitian Moon Sand, beautiful, easy maintenance, and cleaning....I will never clean a gravel tank again lol.
Good luck!

Switch to a quality Sand substrate, and you'll never look at Gravel again!
Black brings out the most color, I just switched from Naturals white to Carib Tahitian Moon Sand, beautiful, easy maintenance, and cleaning....I will never clean a gravel tank again lol.
Good luck!

That costs 25$ right? Pool filter sand is a cheap and awesome alternative to spending 25$ on 20 pounds of black sand while you can get 50 pounds of pool filter sand for 1/5 of that price

I have both light colored pool filter sand and black diamond blasting sand in all but one of my tanks. I like them both and have never had an issue with water quality with either. I prefer light colored sand myself since it looks more natural to my eyes. Whatever you choose, I bet you will love it.

Back
Top Bottom