Successful ADF Mating!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah, poor lil guy. I've dealt with similar with my daughter. I love watching them too. For a long time their tank was at my bedside, and I would often fall asleep watching them. If your female doesn't give you more eggs, you can always add another female or more in with them. :)

I am considering at least one more. How many ADFs are a good number in a ten gal? I had three and one passed after a s. m. breakout.

Frog tank only. s.m. serratia marcescens it's a coliform bacteria that likes moist areas and has been known to breakout in fish tanks. It's bright red, so it's not hard to miss. We were gone for a weekend, I came back and found it in the tank. The frogs even had it on their skin! I wiped it off the air line tubing, but I didn't want to wipe the frogs because I was worried about breaking their skin by accident. I dosed the tank with the melafix I had left over but the next morning one of my two females was floating at the top struggling to breath. My son woke up and I panicked, so I scooped it out of the tank and wrapped it in a paper towel and placed it in the cabinat above the tank. I said good morning to my son and told him he could take his time getting up. i rushed back into the kitchen and opened the cabinate only to find that the frog had passed. I caught it right at the end I guess. I'm not sure what I would have even done to end it's life except maybe do what I have seen people who eat fresh frogs legs do and hit it against the kitchen counter as hard as I could. But I don't think I could have even done that..... doesn't seem right. Anyway I panicked because I didn't want my son to see the frog dying. This was months ago before his great grandmother and my husband's dog passed. Now I think I'll just tell him the truth.

Ok, so where was I..... oh ya, species only tank. 10gal. I know three is ok, but I'm not sure how many others I would put in. The tank is well established at close to three years in age.

that seems like a good amount. i am going to redo the tank decor wise over the period of a few months, I don't want to mess up the good bb too much. :bb: I just took out a huge fake coral thing to make room for the net breeder and then decided I liked the look of it in my son's tank more than the 10gal. So today I picked up a little fake lilly flower, and the frogs seem to like it better. After that I decided to redo it to a more frog friendly tank and get a few more frogs. I was considering a betta, but I think i'll stick to frogs. If the betta frog combo didn't work out I have no back up available, and would have to get another tank for it...... wait a min, that is sounding better all the time! :brows:

That sounds just awful! I've never dealt with anything like that. In a pinch, if I have to end suffering right away, I can cut off their head and then smash it, but obviously it's quite horrid and I can't stand it.

I have 7 in my 10 gal and it works great. Make sure you have atleast a 1:1 ratio of males to females.

That sounds just awful! I've never dealt with anything like that. In a pinch, if I have to end suffering right away, I can cut off their head and then smash it, but obviously it's quite horrid and I can't stand it.

I have 7 in my 10 gal and it works great. Make sure you have atleast a 1:1 ratio of males to females.
They are knida hard to sex arent they? I think I sexed my brothers right but Im not really sure....

Very easy once mature, but can be tricky on the tiny specimens I often see for sale. The males have a little bump under the armpit, and females do not.

Very easy once mature, but can be tricky on the tiny specimens I often see for sale. The males have a little bump under the armpit, and females do not.
ok I have a hard time seeing that! lol I have been going by size.

Is there a way to sex them based on the shape of the "tail" or rear end?

The females typically have a slightly longer tail than the males. Females also have a small bump between their legs where eggs and waste are passed.

Oh my gosh! They are at it again! And there are eggs again! And I'm leaving to go to my parents house for the weekend tomorrow. Well I'll put the eggs in the breeder again and see how they do this time. I just did a water change so I'm not going to do one this time. I'm am wondering if that hurt the eggs last time. This time I'm also going to use java moss to collect the eggs instead of a paper towel. I think that could have hurt the eggs as well. And now I need to REALLY look into the baby brine shrimp hatchery. We'll see how this round goes but this time I'm not getting my hopes up, and I hope my sons takes it ok if they don't hatch. There is no way to hide the net breeder from him so he's going to know something is up.

PS these eggs also look fertilized. Half white half gray.

Attachments

• image-3005792563.jpg
    image-3005792563.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 43
Oh my gosh! They are at it again! And there are eggs again! And I'm leaving to go to my parents house for the weekend tomorrow. Well I'll put the eggs in the breeder again and see how they do this time. I just did a water change so I'm not going to do one this time. I'm am wondering if that hurt the eggs last time. This time I'm also going to use java moss to collect the eggs instead of a paper towel. I think that could have hurt the eggs as well. And now I need to REALLY look into the baby brine shrimp hatchery. We'll see how this round goes but this time I'm not getting my hopes up, and I hope my sons takes it ok if they don't hatch. There is no way to hide the net breeder from him so he's going to know something is up.

PS these eggs also look fertilized. Half white half gray.
You could try and feed the tadpoles some frozen prawn eggs. they are real small and I know my fish love em.
Also what are you doing to get them going?

to get them going? haha! I wish I knew. They have been in the same tank for about 9 months now. the girl is a year older than the boy and once the boy got to be about 6 months old he started hugging her. last time they did this was the second time she produced eggs and the first time they were fertilized. so we will see how this round goes.

Yay!

They eat microscopic food so I'm thinking those prawn eggs would be too big.

I use my fingers to collect the eggs. Java moss is a good idea.

It's actually the infusoria that they eat when they are just hatched that takes longer. If you can get your hands on the supplies, the brine shrimp will only take a couple days. You get those going after egg collection. The infusoria however would ideally be going a few weeks prior to egg collection. I would completely read up on that and get it started today. If you don't have any infusoria ready, you need to have the newly hatched tads in an environment with lots of plants. Java moss, hornwort, and duckweed are all good choices.

Yay!

They eat microscopic food so I'm thinking those prawn eggs would be too big.

I use my fingers to collect the eggs. Java moss is a good idea.

It's actually the infusoria that they eat when they are just hatched that takes longer. If you can get your hands on the supplies, the brine shrimp will only take a couple days. You get those going after egg collection. The infusoria however would ideally be going a few weeks prior to egg collection. I would completely read up on that and get it started today. If you don't have any infusoria ready, you need to have the newly hatched tads in an environment with lots of plants. Java moss, hornwort, and duckweed are all good choices.
Will they eat off plant matter?

Infusoria comes from plants, but you want a lot of them so there is enough present. Decaying plants at the bottom is good too. So yes. :)

Infusoria comes from plants, but you want a lot of them so there is enough present. Decaying plants at the bottom is good too. So yes. :)
Cool. I dont know how to do that but if my bros frogs ever have eggs I will try!

Culturing infusoria is super easy. You can basically put some lettuce in a container with water and let it sit. :)

Back
Top Bottom