Such a thing as Mini MTS? Ideas for mini tanks please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenNewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I don't want to commit to another big tank, but I think it would be fun to have another 2gal tank at work and maybe another 5gal at home. I know mini-tanks are more temperamental/potentially difficult to upkeep, but I've been doing pretty well so far. Anyway, I've got a line on a cheap 5gal w/ filter, etc. for $10 and I don't think I can pass it up. I'm wondering about bumblebee gobys, since I already have to do the bloodworm thing with the dwarf puffers (who are doing magnificently their first week). Are they an option for a small tank and how difficult are they to keep?

I blame my addiction on AA!!!! :p

:D I think it's terrific. I've always wanted to keep panchax or some other killifish. A 5gal would be ideal.

$10 for a 5gal is a great price, if it includes a filter.

There are lots of options, if you choose carefully.

Bumblebee gobies would do okay. They do require brackish water, but are usually sold as FW :evil: I have 10 of them right now in a 29 gal with 3 flounder and 13 Celebes Rainbows. If I could do it over again, I would have just done a 10 gal BB goby only tank. They nip the Celebes and the flounders were impulse buys :roll:

In a 5 gal, I would keep four and place some marine shells or give them rocky/woody areas to call home.

such as...? :wink:

My limits would be fish price, of course, and fish that aren't extremely sensitive to hard water (no discus for me as long as I live here!--assuming I could afford to set up another tank big enough for them!). I have a water filter, but Davis water is notoriously "crunchy." All the minerals you could want...and more!

what about a betta?

My son has a 5gal tank in his room and it is home to a pretty betta and a brand new cory cat.

It's an awesome set up IMO

:D No discus Jen???? Even with all the room in that 5 gallon tank?? *LOL*

Killifish would be a good way to go, they should readily breed in a tank that size, but that may not be a pluss... :invasion: A pluss would be to have plants in this tank. If you have hose and a relatively low fish load, it hould keep itself relativly balanced.

Let's see...already have dwarf puffers in my present 5gal (one of which is eyeing the biggest ghost shrimp). I have a betta at work, and will probably be getting another betta tank set up there in the next couple of weeks. All the killifish are so pretty... You know, I'm probably going to have 10 tanks to move next summer. Does anyone else feel misunderstood by their friends in your obsession for fish?

Back
Top Bottom