Sucking Loach "resting/sleeping" On Apple Snail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samuel-Bennett

Aquarium Advice Regular
Silly question but does anyone else have this?

I've obviously got an apple snail and a sucking loach, and the sucking loach likes to rest on the snail. It doesn't suck the snail or bite it or anything, it's mouth doesn't even touch the snail, it just lays at an angle on the snail, it looks like it holds on with it's bottom fins.

This either sounds like I'm crazy or other people have seen it too. Is it common for them to do that? When the snail slides up and down the tank it's just on it hitchin a ride lol.

I will also say the Sucking Loach is very active and lively most of the time, it's up and down all day, I love it, I never realised the snail would be as active as it is either.

I might as well ask another question while I'm here, does anyone know how I can tell the sex of the Snail and the Sucking Loach??

By sucking loach I assume a Hillstream?

Never saw that with mine, but I assume the loach is attracted to something growing on the shell (maybe an algae film?) I don't think it is anything to worry about.

I cannot sex hillies. You can sex apple snails based on subtle differences in the shell (go to applesnail.net if interested.) However, I can't tell too much based on that method. The easiest way to tell male vs female apple snail is during mating. The male is the one on top.

Back
Top Bottom