Sudden Gourami Aggression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've my my Gouramis for quite a while now. I have one Golden Gourami and two Blue Gouramis. They all have recently started chasing each other. They dart at each other, and then they come together like there are no problems. They repeat this over and over a few times and then seem to stop. Is there a mating season or something? I haven't sexed my Gouramis carefully but at first glance I'd say all female.

Any ideas?

They are in a 55-gallon tank. It's definitely not a matter of space. It's really only happened in the past couple weeks. The only changes I've made are adding more plants to the tank. I don't know if I rearranged territories.

I have an opaline gourami who's recently become aggressive during feedings. But the angels give as good as they get so its not too much of an issue.

Being there is sufficient room, they're probably just declaring a pecking order...much like what tiger barbs do. Unless there's injury involved, there's little if anything at all to worry about.

BTW...if it's actual breeding behavior, generally you'll see bubble nests being constructed.

Back
Top Bottom