Suggestion for tankmate please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a small patch of algae in my discus tank (this is ebcause this bit gets sun light), any way i wanted to know what fish will eat algae that I cna keep with discus. OTHER THAN THE BRISTLENOSE PLEC.

How about a group of three otocinclus? They are cute little fishies, and eat algae like there's no tomorrow. Here's a page on them. The only thing you might have to worry about is the higher temp of your discus tank. How high do you keep it? It says otos top end temp is 79 deg., but It would probably be okay in your tank if you keep it no higher than 83. Check 'em out: http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/profiles/otto.xml

I never kept discus but I do know there are tons of articles and even pictures on the web of otos sucking on discus. They are attracted to the slime coat. Whether they actually cause problems for the discus seems debatable. Some people remove otos from the tank once they have acquired a taste for fish slime. Other say it only happens on occasion and causes little to no problems. And others say it can be avoided all together if you keep the tank well planted and feed the otos tons of veggies. Discus are expensive fish though. If I ever did keep them I wouldn't want otos attacking them :mrgreen: You could always go with an algae scraper and elbow grease.

a common pleco???? LOL just kidding of course, honestly a pleco is the best algae eater i've ever had is there a specific reason you don't want a pleco?

talloulou said:
I never kept discus but I do know there are tons of articles and even pictures on the web of otos sucking on discus. They are attracted to the slime coat. Whether they actually cause problems for the discus seems debatable. Some people remove otos from the tank once they have acquired a taste for fish slime. Other say it only happens on occasion and causes little to no problems. And others say it can be avoided all together if you keep the tank well planted and feed the otos tons of veggies. Discus are expensive fish though. If I ever did keep them I wouldn't want otos attacking them :mrgreen: You could always go with an algae scraper and elbow grease.

Never heard this one, and I know a lot of discus keepers with otos. I've heard that about CAE, but not otos. 8O

Back
Top Bottom