Suggestions for 10 gallon kiddo tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 4 year old wants an african dwarf frog, and we'd be moving Betta Bob (who has proven himself a good citizen in a community tank) out of his 3.

Other thoughts I can steer him toward?

Our LFS has everything (biggest freshwater store in the country, they claim). They suggested ember tetras, the larger of their Neons, or some other not too small tetras or rasboras. My son really likes Otos, as do I, after the tank is seasoned of course.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

If the betta is going into the 10 gallon, I'd probably go with 4-5 pygmy corys. Provide lots of caves and hiding spots for them. And even if your betta is on the friendlier side, I'd suggest adding the corys to the new tank first. Aggressive fish tend to be better tankmates when they're the last ones added. I wouldn't do otos with the betta.

If the betta is NOT going into the 10 gallon, I'd do Celestial Pearl Danios (sounds like your LFS may have them). Embers or White Cloud Mountain Minnows would also work nicely. If you want a single centerpiece fish instead of a shoal in the middle of the tank, a Honey Gourami with small school of Pygmy Corys or Otos would also work.

If the betta is going in the 10 I would not go with guppies because they would get ripped to shreds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the ideas!

This betta has lived well with Otos, and my son is quite insistent about them. I can't have 3 tanks so the betta must go into the 10.

So betta, Otos, frog ... Aqua advisor says I still have room.

The big LFS has teeny danios, Danio tinwinii (even smaller than CPD I think) but I was worried they'd stress the betta.

Oh you fortunate soul ! I'd kill to get some D. tinwini.. they are delightful. Very, very tiny fish, slender and don't get much past an inch long. Mid level feeders, unlike many other danio species. Aka gold ring danio. I fear the Betta might just eat them though, because they are quite small. They are smaller than the CPDs.

Most Bettas are stressed by fish with flowing fins.. so long fins, hi fins and things like guppy tails are not a good mix as a rule. Ordinary short finned fishes may be ok, if the Betta has been peaceful in the past. Adding him last may help make sure he remains peaceful, here's hoping. I know it can be tough to argue with the desires of a young fish keeper :), even if what they want is not a great idea.

I thought highly active schoolers also stress out the betta?

My son is really good about understanding this fish can't live with that one ... And I am, about putting my foot down.

The betta will have to go in first; the demise of the filter in his tank is why I'm booting up the 10 again. I'll transfer the filter media, so it'll be cycled though for a smaller bioload.

Probably betta, then frog, then a school of "something", then Otos. I believe Otos will be a good choice.

I really want the Tinwinii someday, myself. I don't think my son will want them but I fell in love the first time I saw them in the store.

They are gorgeous little guys aren't they ?

Good luck with this.. and fwiw, you can keep a Betta without a filter, many people do. You either do 50% water changes every few days, or load the tank with plants and make sure they have enough light to grow.

I do the plants and as a result, only have to do a water change about every six weeks. That's in 2.5g tanks.. I have four of them, all Bettas, no filters. Just topups for evaporation.

Thanks!

The betta has to go in because I'm living with family and can't have 3 tanks ... And getting the 10 gallon going again is important to my son. It was his birthday present, but his betta quickly died, then we moved and he wasn't interested for awhile. But he's been asking about it and is ok with us moving Bob in instead of buying a new betta and running 3 tanks.

So if his interest lasts the week I'll probably go ahead with the move. He wants it "like a forest" and his grandparents gave him $20 for the tank, so I'll let him pick out a bunch of plants too. I have a pair of nice 6500k 9 watt bulbs for it already.

I do have one note about otos, they will often starve in a 10g tank over time. So, don't get many. Also watch them to see if they will eat prepared foods. Some will, some will not. Supplemental veggies can help and some otos are more likely to eat blanched zucchini than to eat all algae wafer.
Also, I have kept bettas with multiple schoolers including embers and it has always worked out great. Bettas are individuals of course, so you never know. Hopefully it works. I wouldn't be concerned about stress from tiny danios. That is more applicable to larger species like zebra danios.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I do have one note about otos, they will often starve in a 10g tank over time. So, don't get many. Also watch them to see if they will eat prepared foods. Some will, some will not. Supplemental veggies can help and some otos are more likely to eat blanched zucchini than to eat all algae wafer.
Also, I have kept bettas with multiple schoolers including embers and it has always worked out great. Bettas are individuals of course, so you never know. Hopefully it works. I wouldn't be concerned about stress from tiny danios. That is more applicable to larger species like zebra danios.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks!

I've had several species of Otos acquired at different times. They never fail to eat algae wafers (omega one) and I put them in when diatoms appear. But if they started to look frail I could move them to my 29 and trade them with 3 established water eaters.

The 10 will have pretty good light, and I never am free of diatoms! Even the 8 in the 29 gallon don't get it all.

Thanks!

I've had several species of Otos acquired at different times. They never fail to eat algae wafers (omega one) and I put them in when diatoms appear. But if they started to look frail I could move them to my 29 and trade them with 3 established water eaters.

The 10 will have pretty good light, and I never am free of diatoms! Even the 8 in the 29 gallon don't get it all.

Sounds good! Mine have eaten wafers as well. I know many others though who did not have that success. I have kept a couple of otos in 10s, but I grew supplemental algae on rocks and fed wafers. I know a lot of people do not suggest otos in a 10 because it is not at all uncommon for them for starve. As long as you know and are aware of the potential issues and ways to deal with them, I see no reason not to try it. Especially since you have another tank and can do some switching. Multiple tanks can make a lot of stocking options work when you are able to just shift trouble makers around. :)

I've not yet had an Oto that ate wafers. I keep my lights on much longer than I ordinarily would, just to grow more algae for the Otos. I also try to grow it on rocks for them, in a jar. Any plant that gets algae on it goes in their tank until they clean it off.. there are very few snails in there, except Spixis, that mostly eat other snails and don't eat algae. So far, so good with the current Otos. They'd been in the store for about six weeks when I got them, and appear to be doing ok. Certainly the layer of algae growing on the tank glass has greatly diminished, but has not vanished, and so long as I can still see the fish, I'm content to have it that way.

I recommend either celestial pearl danios (aka galaxy rasbora) or white cloud minnows. Both are fairly small as adults (1 inch). My daughter really like both species, but the celestial are one of her favorites because of they're so colorful.

I don't know about putting Bettas them, since I have no personal experience with that.

Back
Top Bottom