Suggestions for 100G Tropical Freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I had an empty 100 gallon tank, plant wise I would add some vallisnaria and sword plants in the back. For the mid ground I would add various cryptocoryne species. In terms of fish I would add some Pinoy blue angels, sterbai corydoras, calico plecos, a group of Kuhli or yoyo loaches, a school of gold tetras, and a group of marbled hatchetfish

Eh some plants or drift wood but some tall plants are the best bet if you get two angle fish tho make sure they are both females or you could expect bullying or fights

It is almost impossible to buy sexed angels and wouldn't recommend it either. Angelfish are cichlids and females are equally as aggressive as males. I've kept angels since the 80's and currently house 12 adults in a 220g 100% planted tank. In a 100g tank if you want angels I suggest getting 6 small dime to nickel body sized juvies and letting them mature together. Some may pair and some not BUT when angels are kept in a group of 6 or more aggression is minimized and spread out so no one angel gets picked on solely.

Angels also love plants but you have to have lighting that will support plant growth. Angels in a tank that size love Amazon Swords.

If you went with angels you could do:

6 angels
15 cardinal, rummynose, or harlequin rasbora's
15 lemon, diamond, kerri, or emperor tetras
10 cory cats
1 bristlnose plecos (I love longfin albinos, plus albino's tend to stay out during the day which most pleco's don't.
2-3 Whiptail catfish (add only after the tank is about 4-6 months old.
*possibly a smaller school of say 8 threadfin rainbows or marbled hatchetfish for top level swimmers.

You could also do an amazing rainbowfish tank. Rainbowfish come in amazing colors. Check out Oddballfish.com to see many that are available.

Or you could do an African cichlid tank. You have a ton of options.

This is awesome!! All of you are giving me amazing ideas! Defiantly considering more driftwood to cover the filter and to block the jet some to lower the current. I didn't know my tank could house so many fish! That's awesome!

I'm surprised nobody has suggested this yet. What about a mbuna cichlid tank? You could have some absolutely stunning schools of cichlids in a tank that size. They are easily some of my fav fish to watch interacting with each other.

As for discus. They are schooling fish and should be kept in groups of at least 5.

I've heard so much about cichlids! But what keeps me from that route is the whole not having many different species in my tank. ?

I've heard so much about cichlids! But what keeps me from that route is the whole not having many different species in my tank. ?de15

I have 3 different species of cichlids in my 55g and trust me, it isn't as big of a deal as you would think. I would do 4 different species of cichlids with a few synodontis multipunctis cats and it would be great.

You can have a few large new world cichlidswith some porthole catfish. I like the angelfish, keyhole cichlid, and veja synspilum

Here's a link to a picture of my tank before I rescaped it. It gives you an idea as there are 12 angels, 30 cardinal tetras, 30 rummynose tetras, 12 threadfin rainbowfish, 3 yo-yo loaches, 25 cory cats, 3 whiptail cats, 1 longfin albino bnp, and a few others like DG, rams, and killifish. Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Rivercats's Album: 220g update 12/18/12 - Picture My tank is a 220g.

That is just completely amazing! Job well done!! I am blown away!

I've heard so much about cichlids! But what keeps me from that route is the whole not having many different species in my tank. dde15

I have cichlids , that's why I didn't suggest them I have had them for three years and yeah in my opion they are not for begheniers plus they eat plants your decor plants. Plus you said you didn't want aggressive fish they are very aggressive

Is it okay for my tank to stay at a constant of 79 to 80 degrees?

I have cichlids , that's why I didn't suggest them I have had them for three years and yeah in my opion they are not for begheniers plus they eat plants your decor plants. Plus you said you didn't want aggressive fish they are very aggressive

That really depends on the type of cichlid. Even with mbunas there are cichlids that aren't overly aggressive. Sure there are occasional spats for territory but I've never seen any damage done because of them.

Not all cichlids are aggressive. Rams, kribs, and angelfish are pretty peaceful and only behave aggressively when breeding

That really depends on the type of cichlid. Even with mbunas there are cichlids that aren't overly aggressive. Sure there are occasional spats for territory but I've never seen any damage done because of them.

I know that is why I am supprised mine are terribly mean but I'm missing some skin on my right hand beacuse of them ah ahha weird I know !

Not all cichlids are aggressive. Rams, kribs, and angelfish are pretty peaceful and only behave aggressively when breeding

I know but he suggested afacian cichlids like mbuna , I was saying my experience I love them they are awesome but a lot of work a labor of love

I'm in the process of trying to cool my tank. It's taking a bit! I've gotten it down from 84 to 78. Heater is set for 75. Which is weird because it kicks on every once in a while even though the thermometer says 78.

Back
Top Bottom