Suggestions for 100G Tropical Freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My camera is on the fritz so all I have are some older pics of my cichlids. In total there are 16 cichlids and 3 multipunctis cats. The yellow labs and the rusty cichlids will all get to be about 5-6 inches. The Afras are about full grown now.

Dominant Male of the tank

75748-albums12252-picture58744.jpg

Dominant Yellow Lab and Multipunctis cat

75748-albums12252-picture58743.jpg

The three species

75748-albums12252-picture58741.jpg

Larger tank shot

75748-albums12252-picture58742.jpg

My camera is on the fritz so all I have are some older pics of my cichlids. In total there are 16 cichlids and 3 multipunctis cats. The yellow labs and the rusty cichlids will all get to be about 5-6 inches. The Afras are about full grown now.

Dominant Male of the tank

Dominant Yellow Lab and Multipunctis cat

The three species

Larger tank shot

Those are amazing fish!

It is almost impossible to buy sexed angels and wouldn't recommend it either. Angelfish are cichlids and females are equally as aggressive as males. I've kept angels since the 80's and currently house 12 adults in a 220g 100% planted tank. In a 100g tank if you want angels I suggest getting 6 small dime to nickel body sized juvies and letting them mature together. Some may pair and some not BUT when angels are kept in a group of 6 or more aggression is minimized and spread out so no one angel gets picked on solely.

Angels also love plants but you have to have lighting that will support plant growth. Angels in a tank that size love Amazon Swords.

If you went with angels you could do:

6 angels
15 cardinal, rummynose, or harlequin rasbora's
15 lemon, diamond, kerri, or emperor tetras
10 cory cats
1 bristlnose plecos (I love longfin albinos, plus albino's tend to stay out during the day which most pleco's don't.
2-3 Whiptail catfish (add only after the tank is about 4-6 months old.
*possibly a smaller school of say 8 threadfin rainbows or marbled hatchetfish for top level swimmers.

You could also do an amazing rainbowfish tank. Rainbowfish come in amazing colors. Check out Oddballfish.com to see many that are available.

Or you could do an African cichlid tank. You have a ton of options.

Could we add more to that list?

I would do something like this if you go a planted route.
15 Cochu's Blue Tetras
15 Harlequin Rasbora
1 Pair of Rams/Apisto/Kribs
10 Cory Cats
1 BN Plec or 7 Otos
1 Honey Gourami

I would do something along those lines if it were my tank :)

That stocking wouldn't even come close to filling a 100g tank. Have you thought about a shoal of clown loaches? Or a black ghost knife fish?

I'm open to many suggestions and I may die if excitement will my tank size 39x20x27 really hold that much?!

15 Cochu's Blue Tetras
15 Harlequin Rasbora
10 Cory Cats
1 BN Plec or 7 Otos
1 Honey Gourami

Nice! The pair of Rams seem to be in high recommendation!

They are generally a bottom dwelling fish that will often times eat snails or shrimp. Thinking about it a clown loach is a little big for a 100g tank, especially because you would need a sizable group of them. Other types of loaches would be a great addition though.

Once I cycle my tank, get it planted well, I can begin to start stocking! Until then, any more suggestions are defiantly welcomed!

Sorry, I didn't read through though whole thread, so I don't know if this has been recommended, but here is what I would do.

6-8x Discus
8x Clown Loaches
2-5x Bristlenose Plecos
20-30x Neon Tetras or Rummynose Tetras

Also, I would make it heavily planted, too, with a nice, big, driftwood centerpiece.

Sorry, I didn't read through though whole thread, so I don't know if this has been recommended, but here is what I would do.

6-8x Discus
8x Clown Loaches
2-5x Bristlenose Plecos
20-30x Neon Tetras or Rummynose Tetras

Also, I would make it heavily planted, too, with a nice, big, driftwood centerpiece.

That's a nice idea!

15 Cochu's Blue Tetras
15 Harlequin Rasbora
10 Cory Cats
1 BN Plec or 7 Otos
1 Honey Gourami

Could I add six angels to this?

You are getting quite a bit if attention in this tread ! But I would like to see some more pics when it's finished , let's us know what you decide
Creds
Freshwater_King

You are getting quite a bit if attention in this tread ! But I would like to see some more pics when it's finished , let's us know what you decide
Creds
Freshwater_King

You got it! I should be able to go pick up my full spectrum light bulbs this week.

A discus tank would be absolutely amazing, but the clown loaches have far too much bio load. Also, discus are extremely sensitive fish and aren't easy to care for at all.

I should probably steer away from them then.

I think I need to state that my tank is maintaining a 78 to 80 degrees. Not sure what all fish that affects.

Back
Top Bottom