Suggestions for a good Centre Piece fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2_Crazy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 3 Buones Aires Tetras, 4 Peppered Cories, 2 Clown Plecos and plan on adding 6 Tiger Barbs. They will all live in my 29gal planted aquarium. I was thinking of adding 2 Gouramis to the mix as my centre piece fish. Is there any other fish that may serve that as well? it doesn't have to be a pair?

tia

Hopefully you're talking dwarf Gouramis? Even then, when these guys are all grown up, that's going to be awfully crowded. Are you planning to upgrade the aquarium as they grow? Do you have anything special about your setup to help handle this huge bioload?

Already Have:
3 Buones Aires Tetras 2.5*3=7.5
4 Peppered Cories = 2.5*4 =10
2 Clown Plecos 5*2=10
Total Adult bioload, 27.5 inches of fish. (near full capacity of a 29 gallon aquarium)

Thinking of getting:
6 Tiger Barbs = 3*6 = 18
2 Kissing Gourami = 8*2 = 16 or 2 Dwarf Gourami = 2*2 =4
Total new and old adult bioload, 49.5-61.5

Resources:
liveaquaria.com
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile80.html

The Tiger Barbs would likely not exceed 2" in size, and the Gouramis (Blue or Green) Not the Large Kissing obviously would likely not exceed 3" in size, and I highly doubt the plecos would reach 5", they are a small species and although it states they can reach that size, I would be amazed if they exceed 3". so the totals would be more like:

Already Have:
3 Buones Aires Tetras 2.5*3=7.5
4 Peppered Cories = 2*4 =8
2 Clown Plecos 3*2=6
Total Adult bioload, 21.5 inches of fish.

Thinking of getting:
6 Tiger Barbs = 2*6 = 12
2 Gourami = 2*2 =4
Total new and old adult bioload, 36"

In a planted tank with weekly pwc, this should be fine even if the fish get up to a total of 40". 1" per gal is a general rule of thumb, it can be exceeded in the right conditions.

Anyway, my original question was if there were any other centre piece fish that would work well in this tank other than the Gouramis?

Why do you think they wouldn't reach that size? The only things that would generally keep them from reaching their mature size is if they die prematurely or do not receive adequate nutrition.

I agree that plants can help stretch the bioload capacity of a tank, but I'm puzzled at your fish size estimates.

Back to your origional question, you're looking for a fish that will grow to 3" or so and is very colorful? A male betta might do, although barbs are semi-agressive, so you might pick something more passive to go with him.

Blue Gouramis grow to 6", as large as a freshwater angel.
Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami will grow only to 2".

I think you could do all right with any of the dawrf Gourami species. Check out the species carefully befrore you buy.

Back
Top Bottom