Suggestions for a new addition please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jambar44

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi folks,
I have a standard 240L tank, it is established and currently has 10 zebra danios 3 clown loaches 2 silver dollars and a plec. The water chemistry is good 0ppm for ammonia and nitrite and roughly 10ppm nitrate its only got one large plant attached to a chunk of bogwood and 3 cave complexes.

well now you have the description here's my question in considering adding another fish or small shoal if they are little as the mid level of the tank is bear most of the time generally only been occupied by the 2 silver dollars i would like something colourful and active so suggestions for something that would be a good tank mate will be appreciated

Thanks

Hi folks,
I have a standard 240L tank, it is established and currently has 10 zebra danios 3 clown loaches 2 silver dollars and a plec. The water chemistry is good 0ppm for ammonia and nitrite and roughly 10ppm nitrate its only got one large plant attached to a chunk of bogwood and 3 cave complexes.

well now you have the description here's my question in considering adding another fish or small shoal if they are little as the mid level of the tank is bear most of the time generally only been occupied by the 2 silver dollars i would like something colourful and active so suggestions for something that would be a good tank mate will be appreciated

Thanks

You're going to need a larger tank just for the 3 Clown Loaches.

Yeah I should of mentioned im aware of the problem with the loaches they are small at the moment only between 3 and 4 inches I adopted them of a guy that bought them for his daughter because she thought they looked like nemo and i reckoned my 240L was better than his 80L, either way there is a much larger tank on the horizon when I've finished some renovations to the house. So they will be taken care of as they grow up :)

Yeah I should of mentioned im aware of the problem with the loaches they are small at the moment only between 3 and 4 inches I adopted them of a guy that bought them for his daughter because she thought they looked like nemo and i reckoned my 240L was better than his 80L, either way there is a much larger tank on the horizon when I've finished some renovations to the house. So they will be taken care of as they grow up :)

I want clown loaches for my 55 gallon and its killing me that they need bigger, lol. This hobby is never ending. I'll be buying a 90 gallon before long,.

yeah i know what you mean the new one i have my eye on is 450L I think that's about 115 not sure. either way i was amazed that the "expert" at the pet store sold him 3 clowns knowing he only had a basic 80 litre tank

yeah that sounds like a good idea any opinion on cardinal tetras?

I have a small school of tetras in my 30 gal planted, they are striking and colorful, VERY hearty, and stay mid water in a fairly tight group...I have 6 now, but that would be a bare minimum for these guys as they get too nervous in small groups....I would say 6-8 would be good. Hope this helps! GOOD LUCK!

Why not more silver dollars? about 2 or 3, they like to stay in school.

I think that you might of misread something there the tank is 240L im not sure but thought that was a little over 60 galon?

If its 240L I understand this right then.
3 more silver dollars there would be cool.

LOL wouldn't be the first time I've done that :)

and I hadn't thought of adding anymore dollars but they are nice fish ill have a good think about that one.

LOL wouldn't be the first time I've done that :)

and I hadn't thought of adding anymore dollars but they are nice fish ill have a good think about that one.
Hmm ok, when i first got mine, i bought 2 for my 47 gallon, they were very shy, never swim around normally, a week after i bought another 2 then last week 1. They are great, just watch out if you have plants, they eat it all, and they are easy to get freaked out too.
I feed mine worms, lettuce and flake.

I think i will add another 2 or 3, like you say they are a shoaling fish I didn't realise that when I got these 2.

They do swim around a fair bit but i doubt they would be upset at a bit of company

ok had a look in my LFS today and he has some really nice silver dollars, they are a lot smaller than mine though, just to make sure has anyone ever had problems with different ages/sizes mixing together? mine are just over 4inch nose to tail, the new ones are barely over 1 if that.

The only experience I have had with mixing ages of fish was with my Bleeding Heart Tetras I had 3 and wanted to get enough for a nice shoal so I got 4 more...they were juvies. At first the juvies kind of stayed to themselves as did the adults then about a week or so they were all playing happily together.
Good Luck!!! (y)

Back
Top Bottom