Suggestions for colorful community tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks all. I'm making a list just like I have to when thinking about different plants. I have a couple of rasboras that have gotten more colorful as they've aged. I also have some endlers and although tiny, they're very colorful too. I think I'll look at some of your suggestions to add to my stock.

Thanks again-D

I second this. They are quickly becoming my new favorite fish.

I've been researching blue rams and they seem to be pretty touchy about PH. I'm not concerned about nitrates because my tank is planted and the nitrates stay pretty low (I've been told too low for plants, but everything seems to be doing well). I have well water and my PH is around 7.2 or so. I think I'll start out with bolivian rams and see how they do first.

Blue rams aren't recommended for beginners because they can be sensitive to bad water quality. They are really peaceful even though they are actually cichlids but they can be kept in community tanks. And also they are really similar to Bolivian rams they only difference is that blue rams have better colors and Bolivian rams can be a little dull compared to gbr's. I have also heard before that Bolivian rams can be a little easier to keep and aren't as sensitive as blue rams.

I've had this tank up for about 3 mos and my water is perfect. The only thing I've been told is that my nitrates should be higher because it's a planted tank, but the params stay stable, and the nitrates are low.

I guess I'll have to ask my LFS to order some blue rams and a couple of other suggestions made on here. I only have two LFS in Colorado Springs and they don't carry a huge selection since they devote part of their stores to salt water and African cichlids as well.

Blue rams aren't recommended for beginners because they can be sensitive to bad water quality. They are really peaceful even though they are actually cichlids but they can be kept in community tanks. And also they are really similar to Bolivian rams they only difference is that blue rams have better colors and Bolivian rams can be a little dull compared to gbr's. I have also heard before that Bolivian rams can be a little easier to keep and aren't as sensitive as blue rams.

Boy, I've been reading some bad reviews on blue rams on the internet. Do you think that it's bad breeding or people's ignorance?

Boesemani and turquoise rainbows are gorgeous. I have several in my largest tank and their coloring is unbelievable.

Boy, I've been reading some bad reviews on blue rams on the internet. Do you think that it's bad breeding or people's ignorance?

Well I would say both but as long as you keep up with water changes, don't overstock, and don't over feed, you should be good. They may be a little difficult to keep but they are defiantly worth it.

Thanks, I'll have to look these up. I've heard of rainbows, but not turquoise and the other fish, I've never heard of.

Well I would say both but as long as you keep up with water changes, don't overstock, and don't over feed, you should be good. They may be a little difficult to keep but they are defiantly worth it.

I need to research more, and maybe start out with bolivian rams first. they're so pretty though...

Back
Top Bottom