Suggestions for colorful community tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello Everyone,

I have a very nice community tank with 2 wag tailed mollies, 2 platies that are yellow, some neons, and some tiny little endlers which are very colorful but teeny. I also have a very pretty dwarf gourami. My rasboras I've had for quite some time and have gotten prettier as they've gotten older. My other fish are all black, white, or gray in different species. Do you have any suggestions for other peaceful colorful fish? Many that I see that are bright are kind of nippy and I don't want to stress out a peaceful tank by putting a semi-aggressive fish in. Thanks-D

How big is the tank? I like the colors of the threadfin rainbow fish and the peacock goby.

You're thinking of the glofish danio. This is a naturally colored fish. Try google danio choprai or glow light danio.

Oh, okay. I just talked to my LFS and he can order me some of the peacock gobies (is that correct for plural)? I thought 4 would be good. How do they get those odd colors in those other fish? Surely they don't really inject them??

German blue rams will add a lot of color to your tank.

Another fish that I've heard of but have never seen in my LFS. I'll Google them also. It's nice that the LFS will order the kind that I want if he doesn't carry them. I just have such a peaceful tank and want to keep it that way, so I'm trying to be very careful what I put in after that nasty little glo fish. I also had a beautiful betta that I put in but he went after my neons. I actually caught him with one in his mouth, so back into the 5 gal he went. Too bad, he was the prettiest fish in there...

Glofish were created is singapore to detect pollutants in water but ended up glowing all the time. They were injected with jellyfish DNA and this was passed on to their fry.

Glofish were created is singapore to detect pollutants in water but ended up glowing all the time. They were injected with jellyfish DNA and this was passed on to their fry.

Interesting. It certainly didn't help their disposition. Why jellyfish DNA? What were they trying to achieve? the color or another attribute of the jellyfish?

German blue rams are delicate so you really need to properly aclimate them. Most people advise the bolivian ram for starters. As for the glofish, jellyfish have light producing genes that glow in certain forms of water. the idea was to have a fish that glows in polluted water.

German blue rams are delicate so you really need to properly aclimate them. Most people advise the bolivian ram for starters. As for the glofish, jellyfish have light producing genes that glow in certain forms of water. the idea was to have a fish that glows in polluted water.

Fascinating stuff. So the glo fish were kind of like canaries in mines? alerting people to when the water was polluted?

I've learned my lesson the hard way about taking along time to acclimate, now I take 1 1/2 hrs. I had high PH for awhile due to a massive water change and lost fish to PH shock because I didn't take long enough to acclimate them. Now, my PH is about 7-7.2 I've read that blue rams are sensitive to nitrates and mine are almost 0 due I guess to the plants.

Pretty much. Some people started using them to make glowing sushi. Disgusting.

Cardinal, rummynose, diamond, and lemon tetras are all pretty colorful. I also like cherry, black ruby and pentazona barbs (they're some of the more peaceful barbs). A pair of German blue rams would also make for a beautiful showcase. There are very few freshwater fish that can match their colors. They do need a very mature tank though (4-6 months established preferably). You could also opt for the more hardy/less colorful Bolivian ram as an alternative.

Back
Top Bottom