Suggestions for lowering temp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blert

Aquarium Advice Addict
75 gallon tank.
Canister filter.
Lighting is a single 32 watt t8.
Heater set at 78f.
Room temp at 74f.

Yesterday the tank's temp climbed to 81f. By the late evening I got it back down to 79f with a few small water changes. Today it has risen back to 80f. I know this temp is tolerable by my fish I just don't know why it is climbing so high while the room is so cool. In an attempt to help keep the temp down I have added a power head (with bubble hose) for movement and aeration. I have also cracked the glass tops a bit to let more heated air out. Any suggestions?

Is it an adjustable heater? Sounds like its a preset one. And it may be faulty! Keep your eye on it and buy one that's adjustable.

boadams87 said:
Is it an adjustable heater? Sounds like its a preset one. And it may be faulty! Keep your eye on it and buy one that's adjustable.

Nope, brand new ViaAqua Titanium. Is working fine, but I will keep an eye on it. Thanks.

Do u have a glass hood I think sometimes it can cause like a green house effect

Edit: Sry just seen u said I cracked them some

Bobby56 said:
Does the heater stay on alot? It might not be calibrated correctly

In the two weeks I've had it I have seen it on twice. It is a digital with a remote temperature probe, when the temp matches the setting it turns off. Pretty accurate too, matches the glass mercury thermometers I have in the tank also. I've manually checked it all day since Bo suggested it. By manually I mean I grab hold of the element to make sure it's not on. I has been off all day.

I seem to have gotten it under control. I replaced the rear nylon pieces of the glass lids with rain gutter leaf mesh that I DIY'd onto the glass. It has more air flow now and it is still tight so nothing can "escape". I also opened up the AC vent in the room a little more. It's been holding at 78f since. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom