Suggestions for Starting up my FW Collection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For the 5,000 gallon monster tank, have you considered freshwater sawfish? Or bull sharks for that matter?

Proof... We need proof of all these animals you've kept. Pics sir. I said it here and your other threads. Proof.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Maybe Sea World will be for sale by then, might be cheaper!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I would love to see this come to fruition but as some others have said, I think you are under-estimating the time, money and room involved. i run about 150 gallons split between 6 tanks at the moment. No where near what many members here and other places do, granted i don't have any of this automated stuff just a python.

During my monthly/bimonthly cleanings, Im not talking about a basic water change. Im talking about deep gravel cleaning, moving rocks and decor. Cleaning everything from filters to airpumps, airstones, hoods, light fixtures, and just about everything else involved. Getting into the tank with a toothbrush and scrubbing any hard to reach algae that either hasn't been eaten or i cant get with a magnet cleaner. Changing root tabs monthly/bimonthly and everything of the sort. This takes me between 2-4 hours easily depending on if its monthly/bimonthly. and thats between 6 tanks and less then 200 gallons of water. I don't even have any of these high tech planted tanks. Im sure other people could do this possibly faster and or have automated systems but this is just what i do/my experience.

All of this without every having to treat any sort of breakout *knock on wood* Something like that can add hours on to even weekly maintenance.

Granted all of my tanks have gravel decorations live plants and driftwood in them but still. Its not like its a tanks that can be easily accomplished in then than an hour without either help or fully automated bare bottom systems.

Again, i wish you the best of luck and would love to see this actually happen.

Could you give some kind of an explanation on how you are going to manage the time for all this. You have saltwater , freshwater and reptiles and they all have a pretty big list.

Now lets take into consideration you being a lawyer and the time that needs to be devoted to that in order for it to be successful , OK : now you plan on having a house with a fair amount of land , what about the upkeep and care of the house and property.

How are you going to get everything done with only 24 hours in a day? Hire a crew and have them do everything while you are doing lawyer duty?? Wheres the fun and enjoyment in that , I am not trying to burst your bubble but I personally don't think one man can handle everything you have planned.

All I can say is best of luck to you and if you can do it then you are a better man than I and most others here. If you have any pictures of your progress I am sure many here would be interested.

Good luck!

We're kinda beating a dead horse here guys. As popparyno mentioned I'd love to see pics of those previous ventures, not really doubting it, I just want to see it rather than hear about it. Aside from that, call me when you get started. Or get a tank, I mean you do work at petsmart...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Gotta find the hard drive that has all my old pics on it and I'll post 'em.

Seems like there's a lot of doubt with this collection, and I feel like I really need to bring it way down to like 2 or 3 freshwater tanks, 1 saltwater tank, and maybe a few reptile tanks and a rack at the most. Mostly because lawyers work long hours, and there's not enough time to do all this.

Gotta find the hard drive that has all my old pics on it and I'll post 'em.

Seems like there's a lot of doubt with this collection, and I feel like I really need to bring it way down to like 2 or 3 freshwater tanks, 1 saltwater tank, and maybe a few reptile tanks and a rack at the most. Mostly because lawyers work long hours, and there's not enough time to do all this.

That sounds much more feasible.

Caleb

Probably going to get it down to a 125, 75, 20, 20, and 29 gallon freshwater, a 29 and 40 gallon saltwater (one fowlr one reef), and then for reptiles:
a tortoise table
small custom room (for water monitor, I wouldn't mind insulating a small room)
116 quart sterilite bin (RTB)
5x2x2 custom wooden cage (reticulated python)
8x3x3 custom wooden cage (tegu)
5x3.5x6.5 custom show cage (green tree monitors, going to wait to see if I can take care of everything else first though)
4 ??? bins (for a pixie frog, kingsnake, ball python, and rat snake)
3x 36x18x24 Exo Terra cages for rainbow boa, green tree python, and emerald tree boa
4x18x18 custom wood show cage (angolan python, going to wait on this one too though)
2x 18x18x24 Exo Terra cages (day gecko and chameleon - screen for the chameleon)
2 20 long tanks (fire skink and garter snake)

And then the 1,700 gallon shark tank at my office that may have some kind of part-time staff member to care for it - if I do that, I might as well get another tank or 2.
I might or might not have 2 large-ish freshwater tanks for monster fish - those will probably come after I've proven everything else can be taken care of with ease though.

I admire your dreams...
But you cant plan a future based on what you think might maybe could happen in 10yrs.
Get 1 FW tank... I say 75gl
Get 1 SW tank... Again 75gl
Get 1 reptile enclosure.... I say ??? (I dont do reps)
Maintain that through law school and get at me abt how that went. Because once your out of school, youll be crushed by its debt. Not to mention the debt of opening a law firm. Not to mention that once schools over its not a game. Youll be holding peoples lives in your time and hands. Your choices will affect those that pay you.

You can give me some mumbojumbo abt i dont know this..... But i DO. i watchedmy dad and best friend deal with this. ALL of it.

Like i said... I admire your dream. But for someone whos in college aspiring to be a lawyer. you have no clue abt what it takes to accomplish this. Let alone accomplishing your own firm. Not to mention adding animal kingdom too that. No lawyer makes your quoted $40million right away. A future lawyer should no better than to even think this way.

P.S. my friend is 2yrs removed from law school. Comes from a very wealthy family. And even he'll tell nothing you say is reallistic. I'd love to let you have a chat with him so you can become aware of whats truly ahead of you with getting your juris doctorate.
Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm just going to cherry pick the first thing I see here, I don't like red tail boas in bins, period. Honestly if they can't have a 5x2 I don't like it. People don't appreciate how big these guys get and are still pretty active. Mine at 6 1/2 ft was as big around as a skinny dudes torso, or a big guys thigh, and strong as you could believe. He would put his head to the top and push up while digging his body in, once lifted a 20 lb dumbell off the lid and got out.
I do know big snakes, I had a 6 ft long by 4 ft wide by 2 ft tall wooden enclosure holding a nearly 14 foot Burmese at one time. He went rogue and tried to kill me.

I'm just going to cherry pick the first thing I see here, I don't like red tail boas in bins, period. Honestly if they can't have a 5x2 I don't like it. People don't appreciate how big these guys get and are still pretty active. Mine at 6 1/2 ft was as big around as a skinny dudes torso, or a big guys thigh, and strong as you could believe. He would put his head to the top and push up while digging his body in, once lifted a 20 lb dumbell off the lid and got out.
I do know big snakes, I had a 6 ft long by 4 ft wide by 2 ft tall wooden enclosure holding a nearly 14 foot Burmese at one time. He went rogue and tried to kill me.

Food chain baby...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The girls get huge!!! The boys get big but not quite the size of the ladies :).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom