Suggestions for tankmates...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gabydoodle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm currently living in a college dorm and the only pets that we're allowed to have are fish. I currently have a 2.5 gallon tank with my male betta. I want another tank!

As of now, all I know is that I really can't have anything bigger than another 2.5 gal. I want 3 neon tetras.....

Okay what other suggestions? I was thinking guppies...?
Help!

Guppies will breed like crazy and will soon consume that 2.5g.

How about some micro rasboras? They stay really small and you could get 5-6 in a 2.5g tank. Something like Galaxy rasboras, etc.

Ooh I like those! I guess what I really need to do is find a pet store around here before I get too attached to a certain type of fish. But thanks for the advice with the guppies. I was originally thinking a female betta with the tetras.... I don't know!

Yeah I was thinking that. Plus I already have a male betta, I want some new things.
(I also have another tank with a black skirt tetra, 3 tiger barbs, and an albino red tail shark) but that tank is across the country :(

Although, I have witnessed a 2.5 gal tank with 3 neon tetras, a male betta, 2 ghost shrimps, and about 3 snails.

Okay sooooo I want to try to get as much as a variety in my tank as I can.
I definitely want the 3 neon tetras...
Give me some numbers and types of fishies :)

shrimp and snails have a low bio-load output, so they aren't really affecting the biological levels in the tank. 3 small fish and a betta would probably be about the limit.

Yeah I don't really want to have to deal with shrimp and snails though. The shrimp seem pretty sensitive...and to be honest....I just kind of condition the new water and have a heater and let it do its thing...

I know I should be testing the water and stuff but....well I just don't.

I guess I need some hardy fish then.
And I want to buy the least amount of food possible. Right now I have some floating tetra/betta pellets and tropical flakes.

Yeah I don't really want to have to deal with shrimp and snails though. The shrimp seem pretty sensitive...and to be honest....I just kind of condition the new water and have a heater and let it do its thing...

I know I should be testing the water and stuff but....well I just don't.

I guess I need some hardy fish then.
And I want to buy the least amount of food possible. Right now I have some floating tetra/betta pellets and tropical flakes.
Testing the water is not as important as doing water changes. 2.5 gallons is too small to ignore. When it crashes, it will go fast.
Most fish will eat the fish food you have on hand.

The heater makes the water evaporate super fast...I find myself adding more water almost every other day. Should I be scooping some out or something :/

Sorry, I'm really a fish noob.

Anyway. I think I'm going to go check out this fish place tomorrow. What's the final verdict on fishies? I definitely want the 3 neon tetras, as I keep saying. Create a tank for me :)

You should do some more research on maintenance and about the fish you want to keep before you get any more fish.

Well I'm going to this fish place, rather than just a regular ol' pet store...so I'm sure I can get all the information I need when I go.

I hope your LFS is decent and will show you the way, but more often then not they will lead you down the wrong path. The people that work in those shops are sales people and will try to get you to spend the most that they can, and in the process if that means you have to keep replacing your fish than that is what will probably happen. **Some LFSs are decent/dependable/respectable...but this type of professionalism in the LFS is usually only found after many trips to the store and getting to know the way the employees and owners do things**

I agree with Alaris. You need to do more research. This forum is a great easy place to do research. The smaller your tank is the harder it will be to keep your fish happy and healthy. Knowledge is power!

Doing research isn't all "Tell me what I need to know." Sometimes you actually have to search for the information you seek. It's all out there already. While you're waiting for someone to answer your question, you could be looking up stuff yourself. It's as easy as reading other ppl's threads here or googling.

Geez people, easy with the "I art holier than thou" attitude. People ask questions, we get to answer, we increase our post count, it makes us look like you actually know something about keeping fish. I get the whole "be wary" advisement, and encouragement to do more research, but post links people can read. Point them to other threads. You don't know what "research" others are doing. People could be seeking 2nd and 3rd opinions.

Sometimes, this place gets crazy with attitude when people do something that isn't the norm around here, like cycling with fish or asking too many "dumb" questions. Helping others with their issues only helps make the regular posters around here experts at certain subjects. Posts that seem mean spirited or short just drive people away from this forum or encourage people to act without regard to the species they are keeping. It is way easier to do and not ask questions, than to be criticized for asking questions and trying to figure out what is the right thing to do.

Geez people, easy with the "I art holier than thou" attitude. People ask questions, we get to answer, we increase our post count, it makes us look like you actually know something about keeping fish. I get the whole "be wary" advisement, and encouragement to do more research, but post links people can read. Point them to other threads. You don't know what "research" others are doing. People could be seeking 2nd and 3rd opinions.

Sometimes, this place gets crazy with attitude when people do something that isn't the norm around here, like cycling with fish or asking too many "dumb" questions. Helping others with their issues only helps make the regular posters around here experts at certain subjects. Posts that seem mean spirited or short just drive people away from this forum or encourage people to act without regard to the species they are keeping. It is way easier to do and not ask questions, than to be criticized for asking questions and trying to figure out what is the right thing to do.

I apologize. It was not my intent to criticize anyone for asking questions. I'm sorry my response came off rude.

Yeah I have been looking up other stuff...but it's much nicer to communicate with an actual person rather than just read something.

And I'm getting a 10 gallon tank now anyway. I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Believe me...I post on a forum where I have 81k posts....I know how it gets with noobs. Sorry for not being a fish expert though.

Back
Top Bottom