Suggestions needed for a bottom feeder...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zparticle

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to get a bottom feeder for my discus tank. The tank is:

75g
84 degrees
7.4 pH
4 silver dollar sized discus
10 lemon tetras
10 rummy nose tetras
black gravel substrate
live plants and a few fake ones

I want something that will pick up left over food, doesn't need to be an algae eater. It should be somewhat active but not racing around the tank. I don't want it stressing out the discus.

Any thoughts? I'm willing to spend good money on this so something fairly unique isn't out of the question.

Oh and I've got an API NEXX canister filtration system on it with ans extension system so the filtration of the water is great as well.

Well I'm guessing I'm going to go with a featherfin squeaker.

GOOD CHOICE! (IMO) I love mine and keep him with angels, rams, cherry barbs, and black neons. He's almost always very calm, but when I feed he gets pretty zippy! I sure want to do a discus tank, has it been a trial?

I sure want to do a discus tank, has it been a trial?

Actually no, it has been great.

The only thing special I did was drip acclimate them to the tank water because my pH was quite a bit higher then the LFS. They are doing great and seem happy.

I did intentionally buy tank raised fish as they aren't as touchy as wild fish. I also bought smaller ones, about the size of a silver dollar, because I was told the younger they are the easier it is to get them used to a new tank. The same guy also told me to get fish with dull colors as young discus with bright colors probably had been feed hormones to make them bright.

Their colors are already starting to brighten up and I've only had them for about a week.

somethingsfishy said:
Have you thought about loaches? They, like discus, need pristine water and can be very cool to watch.

I agree here with the loaches! They would be great in this tank I love my yo- yo's and clown loaches too but they get HUGE from what I've heard but I also have a feather fin catfish cool fish but honestly I've never really seen him eat much algae or my yo-yo's but great at eating any leftover food! Ahhhhh! Your so lucky I want to do a discus tank so bad! I might here in about a month or so if I do can I pm you for advice? :)

Well I'm guessing I'm going to go with a featherfin squeaker.

That tank is about 6 degrees F above their normal high temp range. Doesn't fit with discus geographically, if that means anything to you. Most corys don't like that high a temp either, other than C. sterbai.

That tank is about 6 degrees F above their normal high temp range. Doesn't fit with discus geographically, if that means anything to you. Most corys don't like that high a temp either, other than C. sterbai.

Hmm I'll have to think some more on that, I read on wikipedia "77 to 82 °F" is the normal range so I figured 84 wouldn't be a problem.

The yo-yo's are supposed to be top water feeders so those are out. The clowns however are an interesting option and from the description of the environment they need it sounds like a good match. hmmm

"Sometimes clown loaches swim on their sides, or upside down, and appear ill, or lie on their sides on the bottom of the tank and appear to be dead. This is normal behaviour so the aquarist should be aware of it to avoid removing healthy fish from the aquarium."

LOL glad I found that tid bit.

zparticle said:
The yo-yo's are supposed to be top water feeders so those are out. The clowns however are an interesting option and from the description of the environment they need it sounds like a good match. hmmm

I have like 10 yo- yo's I have 5 in 2 tanks they will go up for food at feeding time however they sift through the sand real good and get any left overs at the bottom, lol! Sometimes they will also lay on their backs and play dead they're very playful and fun to watch! Sometimes I could just sit and watch them all day! They're a riot!

Well I just got back from the LFS. I picked up 3 little clown loaches. They had a beautiful golden nugget pleco but they were concerned it might eat the discuss slime coat.

Getting them acclimated now. :)

Thanks for the input everyone, these little guys should look great against the black substrate.

Back
Top Bottom