suggestions on a filter for a 5 gallon tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arcanasv

Aquarium Advice Newbie
like the subject line says. got any suggestions for a 5 gallon tank, that houses a male betta and 2 corydoras. i know the betta wont like a strong current but what is a good gph setting to go by? i was thinking maybe along the lines of the duetto mini. any and all suggestions welcome

i have a small whisper that hangs on the inside of my 2.5 gal betta tank. not sure of the model number. keeps the water clear. still have to change water often.

I have a whisper 10i currently running on my fishless 5gal & my heavily planted 10gal. Haven't turned the 10gal one down, but it's so heavily planted it's cut down the current & should satisfy my bettas.

Turned down it would do well on a 5gal.

Use a sponge filter - it will keep the tank cycled, and you can do a water change once a week (after the tank is cycled). The Duetto Mini is too small. It hardly has any media room. I tried to use it in a 3 gallon tank once and it didn't provide enough filtration. The Whisper 10i is too strong IMO, and you have to use the media it comes with, which isn't very good for keeping the tank cycled. The sponge filter is perfect for a 5 gallon tank - it won't make a lot of current, especially if you use it with a gang valve.

The Red Sea Nano filter is nice. Comes with a sponge and has adjustable flow rate. I use it on a 10gal for slow water movement. It would be perfect in a 5gal.

Back
Top Bottom