Suggestions on algae eaters/where to get true SAE's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xzap

Aquarium Advice FINatic
90 gal planted
presz. co2

Right now I have 4 BN plecs & 6 otos and I'm still seeing a lot of algae that's not getting eaten.

Do I need more algae eaters like SAE's and where do you order them on line.. I've never been able to find any @ lfs.

Is it rosey barbs that eat BBA ?

My stock now is 1 angel, 1 blood parrot, 20 cats (emerald, julii, spot) 3 balas, 3 flying fox & 20 small community fish.

Thx,

dave

A vote for Nerite snails. They only need a covered tank and appear to eat all types of algae, including BBA, while leaving plants alone. Their only downside is some consider their leaving eggs on everything annoying.

i've also heard that american flag fish eat algae. but i swear by saes--they can clean a jungle val leaf COVERED in bba in 15 minutes! they are hard to find--and can easily be confused with thai flying foxes. have you looked online> i've seen them on aquabid. liveaquaria might have them too.

hth

Czcz, where would be some good places to get info on Nerite snail and/or order some? I've seen them recommended several times lately for planted tank algae control, but know nothing else about them.

Purrbox, I learned of them from Travis and TankGirl's posts several months ago. FWIW, I have kept many species of Caridina and Neocaridina shrimp, and all (collectively) were trumped by Nerites for algae control. Unfortunately, my tanks were not covered and my snails left for walks. I ordered from www.aquaticplantdepot.com, who were generous with portion with no losses from Priority mail shipping. HTH

*I believe www.azgardens.com sells true SAEs

I have great nerites from AZgARDENS... absolutely right on the cover... my nerites climb on mine from teh bottom... but the snails are so efficient I never clean my acrylic .

Back
Top Bottom