Suggestions on Top Dwelling Fish (Soft Water)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zer0signal

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Looking for some suggestions on a couple of top dwelling fish, this is going to be a South American tank (36 gallon 7pH, 3kh 4gh TDS ~150 soft water). Right now I have 9 Panda Cory's and 10 Rummy Tetras, eventually down the road there will be 2 GBR's. But I am looking for a couple of fish that will fit in well, but get more activity at the top of the water column.

Tank is planted too, Amazon Sword, Vals, Java Fern, Anubias Nana.

Suggestions?

Maybe some Marbled Hatchets? I don't know if they're from where the rest of the stock is from, but they would be cool. or you could maybe do some halfbeaks. Again, don't know if those are what you want though.

Nils

I am not sure what I want, just looking for some ideas to get my brain stewing on what might fill the rest of the tank out. I looked into the hatchets, my only concern is since this is planted I don't have the glass lid on it anymore, Would be worried of them jumping out.
(could always put it back on, and jack up the lighting to compensate for the loss).

Halfbeaks are cool, but look like they prefer hard water.. These might be cool to put in my Rainbow tank!

Thanks!

Most top water fish are jumpers so it might serve you well to replace the lid. Once that is done, both Silver and marble hatchets might make for an interesting look in your tank as they will stay at or near the surface. ( And both are from S. America ;) ) Another S. American fish that may work is the Anablep ( if you can still get them) Anableps-microlepis in specific. Also known as the 4-eye fish as their eyes tend to stay 1/2 under water while the tops stay out of the water. These, however, may outgrow your tank so you need to consider a larger tank at some point for them. (y)

Thanks! I am going to talk to the planted guys about my lid and the plants!

That anablep is pretty freaking cool!! I don't even know if I will be able to find one around here, plus I wont be upgrading this tank for a long time so it might be out of the question w/ it. Hatchets might be the only way I can go at this point, unless others have some fish we're not thinking of.

If you don't have a lid hatchets won't work. You can try a pair of pearl gourami. They are beautiful and friendly. They hang out at the top

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you don't have a lid hatchets won't work. You can try a pair of pearl gourami. They are beautiful and friendly. They hang out at the top

I have a glass lid, but I am not sure how much that will affect my plants I have growing in there. Currently asking the plant people what their opinion is on the lid.

Not quite top top but my red serpae stay mostly middle/top in my 55. (I know in different sized tanks they sometimes act differently) other than that all I can really think of for true top dwellers are hatchets like already mentioned

Back
Top Bottom