Suicidal Guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquamandan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just bought 2 really pretty red tuxedo guppies for my daughter's 10 gallon yesterday. Woke up this morning and they weren't anywhere to be found... until we looked on the floor. They jumped out the small opening where the HOB filter spills the water back into the aquarium. Are guppies known to be jumpers? What is the best type of material to cover any openings?

Just bought 2 really pretty red tuxedo guppies for my daughter's 10 gallon yesterday. Woke up this morning and they weren't anywhere to be found... until we looked on the floor. They jumped out the small opening where the HOB filter spills the water back into the aquarium. Are guppies known to be jumpers? What is the best type of material to cover any openings?

What's your parameters?

pH = 6.8
Ammonia = 0 - .25 ppm
Nitrates = 0
Nitrites = 0

Also have 6 neon tetras (purchased a few weeks ago) and a zebra cory (all other fish seem to be fine).

Well, by the sounds of things it's a uncycled tank. I don't know if that's the reason or not but you might wanna look out the fish-in cycle thread )

Well, by the sounds of things it's a uncycled tank. I don't know if that's the reason or not but you might wanna look out the fish-in cycle thread )

Its been fully cycled for about 18 months, I do consistent water changes and check my parameters at least a few times/week. Never had a fish jump out of it until today.

Its been fully cycled for about 18 months, I do consistent water changes and check my parameters at least a few times/week. Never had a fish jump out of it until today.

If it was cycled it would most probably have nitrate?

If it was cycled it would most probably have nitrate?

But most nitrates are removed via water changes. I can't believe an aquarium would still not be cycled after a year and a half plus I'd have more than just a trace of ammonia if it weren't cycled.

Last edited:
The only thing I can think of is adding in the extra fish maybe caused an ammonia spike as the bio couldnt handle it? I'm not sure how big 10 gallons are as I work in litres but I think 10 gal is small. A fully cycled tank has 0 ammonia, so the fact you have a reading suggests an ammonia spike/mini cycle. Also as someone else said a cycled tank should have nitrates. Curious!

The only thing I can think of is adding in the extra fish maybe caused an ammonia spike as the bio couldnt handle it? I'm not sure how big 10 gallons are as I work in litres but I think 10 gal is small. A fully cycled tank has 0 ammonia, so the fact you have a reading suggests an ammonia spike/mini cycle. Also as someone else said a cycled tank should have nitrates. Curious!

That's what I thought? My big tank cycled to begin with but I accidently mini cycled it. The levels are all 0 so I have to recycle it.

Yes, 10 gallons is a small aquarium. I've only added 2 fish at a time to minimize the ammonia spikes but I guess not this time. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom