Suicidal Platys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluehawk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone explain why I've had 2 platys in the last week jump out of my 55g tank? Did not know platys were jumpers. I don't see anything chasing them and water is great other than hard.

... water is great other than hard.

You've tested it I assume? What's the ammonia reading? Jumping in fish that don't normally jump can be a sign something in the water quality is off.

Platys can also be a little skittish: I've had a couple break the surface in a panic when startled during their sleep cycle, and only the window screen cover I use kept them from hitting the floor. Could be the same thing happening here.

You've tested it I assume? What's the ammonia reading? Jumping in fish that don't normally jump can be a sign something in the water quality is off.

Platys can also be a little skittish: I've had a couple break the surface in a panic when startled during their sleep cycle, and only the window screen cover I use kept them from hitting the floor. Could be the same thing happening here.
Yes I did test and ammonia and everything else is great. Water is hard though. The platys all really seem fine in the tank not skittish or anything. The first one happened the day I bought it. The second about 10 days later.

I wonder if it happened during a water change and I missed it.

Back
Top Bottom