Sump & Canister Combo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dirt Diggler

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm planning on upgrading to some much larger tanks once I'm done in Afghanistan. Right now I have a 45 gallon and a 40 gallon, both with 2 HOB filters and a power head filter. I'm hoping to upgrade to a 180 gallon, and a 125 gallon, and sell off or mothball the other two. I am considering going with a sump AND canister for both builds. I like the extra volume the sump offers, as well as the filtration options. The canister gives me similar options, as well as a few others. I'm not intimately familiar with either, but I thought the concept was one that lent balance and flexibility. I'd like to know from the forum if the sump/canister combo for tanks of that size is a good idea, or just stick to one or the other. I'm trying to avoid using HOBs on these "final" future builds. Your opinions are greatly welcomed!

Don't have any help to offer. Just wanted to say thanks for serving and keep your head down. Tell the locals "Sta d Chap laas na ghol wumeenza".

Don't actually say that please.

Don't have any help to offer. Just wanted to say thanks for serving and keep your head down. Tell the locals "d Chap laas dey ghol wumeenza".

Don't actually say that please.

I'm normally at Kandahar so it would have to be Pashtun! My job out there is to support the warfighter. My days in uniform are over, but thank you very much.

The purpose for running a sump (at least in part) is to get equipment out of the display tank. If you are running a canister filter out of the tank, as well as a sump then you are kind of defeating that part of the purpose. If you are considering running the canister off of the sump, I can tell you experience that with at least some types of canisters this will not work. Canisters are evidently designed to have at least some gravity/siphon effect in place for them to work properly. Just my $0.02 worth.

I would personally choose one or the other. A sump blows away a canister anyway with the capacity it has for biomedia and additional water volume. BUT, it would be wise to seek out a reef ready tank or have your tank drilled. People are successful with HOB overflows but it leaves room for error with tremendous consequence. For me, I initially chose to go the sump route, but with my turtle I was advised to stick with canisters as turtle waste accumulates at the bottom and is not taken care of by the surface skimming of an overflow. A sump would end up costing the same price as a quality canister depending on what materials you already have, but certainly well worth the benefits.

The purpose for running a sump (at least in part) is to get equipment out of the display tank. If you are running a canister filter out of the tank, as well as a sump then you are kind of defeating that part of the purpose. If you are considering running the canister off of the sump, I can tell you experience that with at least some types of canisters this will not work. Canisters are evidently designed to have at least some gravity/siphon effect in place for them to work properly. Just my $0.02 worth.

I would personally choose one or the other. A sump blows away a canister anyway with the capacity it has for biomedia and additional water volume. BUT, it would be wise to seek out a reef ready tank or have your tank drilled. People are successful with HOB overflows but it leaves room for error with tremendous consequence. For me, I initially chose to go the sump route, but with my turtle I was advised to stick with canisters as turtle waste accumulates at the bottom and is not taken care of by the surface skimming of an overflow. A sump would end up costing the same price as a quality canister depending on what materials you already have, but certainly well worth the benefits.

Thank you both! I was asking as I was aware of the benefits as sump has as for as added capacity, and space for bio-media, as well as other tank accessories. I also know that canister filters are pretty good as well, although not as good as a sump, but they are more forgiving. I was curious as to if anyone had done both at the same time, and if it was something worth pursuing. Now I can see that I should go with one or the other. I am concerned about overflow in the event of power, or sump pump failure with the sump.

Thank you both! I was asking as I was aware of the benefits as sump has as for as added capacity, and space for bio-media, as well as other tank accessories. I also know that canister filters are pretty good as well, although not as good as a sump, but they are more forgiving. I was curious as to if anyone had done both at the same time, and if it was something worth pursuing. Now I can see that I should go with one or the other. I am concerned about overflow in the event of power, or sump pump failure with the sump.

If the sump and tank are properly set-up, you will have no issues with overflow when the power cuts out or in the case of sump return pump failure. The overflow (HOB or built in) is designed such that only so much water can drain from your tank in the event of a power failure. Once the return pump shuts down, the water drains into the sump (the top portion of which is empty under normal usage). Sump fills, display tank drains only to a point, and now overflow of sump occurs. This does require you to have done some testing to make sure your sump capacity is capable of holding whatever overflow is coming from the tank. This is also the danger inherent in drilling your own. If you don't get the holes in the right place, you have the capacity for a very large mess.

If the sump and tank are properly set-up, you will have no issues with overflow when the power cuts out or in the case of sump return pump failure. The overflow (HOB or built in) is designed such that only so much water can drain from your tank in the event of a power failure. Once the return pump shuts down, the water drains into the sump (the top portion of which is empty under normal usage). Sump fills, display tank drains only to a point, and now overflow of sump occurs. This does require you to have done some testing to make sure your sump capacity is capable of holding whatever overflow is coming from the tank. This is also the danger inherent in drilling your own. If you don't get the holes in the right place, you have the capacity for a very large mess.

Thank you so much for the information! I'm still researching sumps and I had another question. Is it better to use the bio-balls, or another media such as Seachem Matrix? What sump setup would you recommend for a 125 gallon tank with Lake Malawi cichlids?

Back
Top Bottom