Sump critters--Freshwater Edition :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PBirdsong

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I know I am not the only one with a sump on a freshwater tank. Anyone have any critters in their sump to help keep things clean? I have thought about a small crawfish.

Actually, that's not a bad idea so long as you get something that doesn't produce much waste itself.

Is the sump visible? If it's a planted sump, I would nix the crayfish and go with a few FW shrimp instead.

Well, I have thoughtabout making it a planted sump and just putting some java moss in it. Shrimp is definately a good thought. There are more shrimp species that stay small too. Thanks. :mrgreen:

I think crayfish would be a bigger pain then what they would be worth as far as cleaning up is conserned (no other inhabitants would be safe save maybe a clam)

greenmaji said:
I think crayfish would be a bigger pain then what they would be worth as far as cleaning up is conserned (no other inhabitants would be safe save maybe a clam)

Yeah I think some species of FW shrimp would be a better idea now. Of course the crayfish would have been alone.

FW Clams would be cool since they filter feed. Java moss or Wisteria to soak up the ammonia

m249saw said:
FW Clams would be cool since they filter feed. Java moss or Wisteria to soak up the ammonia

agreed.. clams (for there sediment removal from filter feeding) and low light plants would be ideal, adding FW shrimp would be a good idea as well. lighting it (1-1.5wpg) opposite of the tank would balance out water chemistry well :p

Oh yes...lots of plants, some vampire shrimp, some algae-eating shrimp, and a handful of clams....it could end up looking as nice as the tank.

If your sump is covered, nerite snails are excellent algae eaters, and do a better job than a crew of algae eating shrimp. (Nerites like to leave the tanks. Have kept many caridina and neocaridina species in my sump, and observed effectiveness vs. marble nerites.)

Will you use substrate? I've read of people using clams in wet/drys, but others insist substrate is necessary for their survival. Please post back with results. TIA

I have a very thin layer of substrate from my grilfriend's tank (the first 55gl in my signature). I don't think I will go with the clams only because I'm not a big fan of them. But just incase: anyone have any links that will give me some info on some clam species?

I did some reaserch and the ones sold in the aquarium trade are more likely then not asian FW clams.. they get about 2 inches wide.. and are evasive in the wild here in the US.. the sientific name for them is Corbicula fluminea, a google search brings up alot of specific info. if thats what your looking for..
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Corbicula+fluminea&btnG=Google+Search
sorry if this is not what you were asking.. I might have misunderstood the question..

hey if i plan on using a sump filter for a fifty gallon i think it is called the mega flow sump filtration and if i were to add critters to that whould i put them in the last slot of the filter?

Back
Top Bottom