sump info need

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HARLEYDuece02

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all ! New to this forum and could use some advice. I'm currently setting up 90 gal tank for Jack Dempseys and Green Terrors and need advice on how large a sump pump i'll need for a wet dry bio filtration system. I've never used this kind of system before, but since I sort of inherited the set up I figured I'd use it. I currently have a 75 gal tank up and running with various Dwarf cichlids and some cories and a bumble bee catfish. They all seem to get along and there has not been any casualities as yet. Want to try the larger cichlids and so here I am asking for advice...lol. Thanks in advance and everyone have a great day.

Hi Harley,

Firstly, Welcome to the site.
Secondly, in FW systems a sump is not really required, neither is a wet/dry system. But if you have them, I think you would have to wait for one of the SW guys to help.

sump

I would suggest a pump that will turn the tank from 8-10 times per hr. That puts you in the 700-900 gph range. If I was going to have to buy a pump, I'd go with the Danner Mag Drive. They are not too expensive and can be run external or submersed. I don't have any flow charts in front of me right now, but I think if you were to go with about a 1100- 1200gph pump you would be right in the ball park after losses due to head. The higher you pump, the more flow you lose. Also, figure an additional foot of head for every 90 degree elbow you use. Good external pumps in this size range are available from Little Giant and Iwaki also. Make sure, if you're using an overflow box, that it is sized for the pump you intend to use. If it's a little oversize, you're OK. If it's undersized, the pump will outrun the siphon, water will go in the floor, and your wife will come after you with a sharp object :). If I remember correctly, an 1 1/4" U tube will carry about 500 gph? Verify that with another source though. I would think you would need at least two 1 1/4 U tubes and probably two 1" pipes going into the top of the sump to handle the flow. If the tank is drilled, does it have two internal overflows? What size is the pipe coming out of them?
Logan J

more info

OK, I was able to verify that the 1 1/4 U tube should be good for at least 500gph. Here is some info on the Mag Drive pumps that I think would work for you. The Mag 9.5 is rated at 950gph @ 0' head, 810gph @ 3' head, and 700gph @ 6' head. The Mag 12 is 1200 @ 0', 1150 @ 3', and 1050 @ 6'. Either one of these would be fine I think as long as the overflow is sized accordingly.
Logan J

1 thing that I dont know if its been mentioned yet or not is to have atleast 1 extra U tube on hand so when you clean the existing one you dont have to shut the pump down. The U tube should be cleaned on a regular basis to keep algae from growing and slowing the flow.

Another factor in the U tube performance is how easily the water drains from the overflow.

For example if the drain line has a U shaped bend in it the water will flow slower than if the return line is more or less a direct downward shot to the sump. A slower flowing return line will basicly cause the U tube to flow slower.

I learned this from personal experence.

I build a sump stand to hold the sump since my sump is in a back room I did not need it below the tank but I did not take into account the sump height and the overflow lenght when I built the stand so i ended up having to have the drain lines with a big looping U in them because the bottom of the overflow I had was about level with the top of the sump. This caused my overflow to now flow at a high enough rate and the pump was overfilling the tank. I had to drop the sump onto the floor to strighten out the drain lines and now the overflow keeps up with my pump.

Thanks :) for the info Logan.I've got a mag9 in the sump and seems to be working fine but now have new question.I'm getting a lot of noise from my overflow and haven't been able to elimate it.It seeem to be a venturi effect in the tube going to the sump. any ideas?

:D Thanks Logan, That was a site I've been to before and forget about. I think that will be a fine solution to my noise problem. I will get parts for the solution and try tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom