Sump Pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBouchard

Aquarium Advice Activist
I went to my lfs today, and asked about my ph. He told me for what I had in my tank my ph is to high. Ph is 7.8 and I have 3 baby sword tails, an angelfish, 1 moonlight gourami, 4 longfin danios, a rainbow shark and a bamboo shrimp. First is my ph possibly killing my fish and second can someone please tell me, if i went to a sump pump 1) how to set it up and 2) would I need to drill into my tank? I have never approached sump pumps before so I am kind of confused.

In my opinion, that pH is fine. Most fish will adapt to your water's pH unless it is outrageously high or low. Honestly the fish store was probably just trying to get you to think you needed to buy something..
I don't know much about sumps, but from what I do know, I can't think of how it would effect your pH any differently than any other type of filter.

he has said with a sump pump i can put moss in to lower the ph and since i have a hang pump i cant. I am not sure what to do but I am tired of losing fish!

You could put peat moss in a hang on back filter. In my opinion it really seems like he's just trying to get your money because its not even necessary. 7.8 is a fine pH. That's what mine is and I keep fish in it that supposedly need acidic water and they've lived for years with no problems. The pH "requirements" for certain fish species are really only if you're trying to breed them, or you have very sensitive fish like discus. It certainly wouldn't be killing your fish. If you are having excessive fish deaths there is probably another reason.

We are thinking its the gravel I put in. After we changed it fish started dying, but I was having other issues so overlooked the gravel. So I am going to change that, hoping it works.

How long has your tank been set up? Did you cycle it properly? How did you add the new gravel?

everything was cycled fine, and the tank has been up for about 5 months, I got the new gravel and added during a water change, after rinsing of course. But we went and talked to my lfs, and he said that it wasnt my gravel ,but my temperature was way to high. I am not sure how but it was up to 84 instead of 76. So I was cooking my poor little ones. We lowered the temp and now we are waiting, its at 80 right now.

Hmm interesting. That temperature shouldn't have killed them either. A lot of people raise the temp to 84 or higher to fight ich infections.
What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings?

Well those sound good, so I'm not sure. The temp and pH shouldn't have killed your fish though. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will join in and help you out!

Back
Top Bottom