Sump thoughts…

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ColdKoi

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just pondering dumb ideas on how to best flood the place and ruin the floors…

I’ve been wanting to add another tank to my 75g as kind of a sump/snail tank. I was looking at something along the lines of a 36g bow which would fit nicely in the corner not far from the 75.

My thought is that it will be roughly the same height as the 75g which should allow me to use a “water-bridge” type siphon line to draw water across to the 36g. Then a pump would obviously have to return this water. Pump in the 36g sitting fairly high in the tank and on a float switch should eliminate a flood if the water bridge fails to keep up or looses siphon. Technically short of a failure in the plumbing between the 2 tanks there should be little risk of water loss and if so it should be limited to ~5gal or so.

This also means any failure in the systems function due to power loss or air getting into the siphon tube would require a manual re-start. But that is of little concern as The 75 is already self sufficient in its operation and this is only going to be some additional capacity as well as somewhere for the snails to do their thing (and who doesn’t want another tank!).

Has anyone tried something like this or see any issues with it? It ‘should’ work in theory lol

Back
Top Bottom