sunlight.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

molliwopp

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know people say dont expose your aquarium to sunlight because it promotes algae growth but is this the only reason? I sometimes open the curtains, only when the sun wont directly strike the tank and my fish seem to like it alot. Makes them feel alive lol

? Your thoughts ?

Well the only two five gallons I have next to the window have huge amounts of diatom algae growth. No other tanks have much.

Theres nothing wrong with that, i do the same thing. Had a problem with brown algea but that was a new tank thing

I guess it depends whether the sunlight is direct and how much the tank gets. My tank is across the room from two large windows. I always keep my blinds open. The tank gets some sunlight during the day, never had an algae issue.

I guess it depends whether the sunlight is direct and how much the tank gets. My tank is across the room from two large windows. I always keep my blinds open. The tank gets some sunlight during the day, never had an algae issue.

Same with one of mine. The curtains are open all day, the tank is on a wall across from the window and no algae issues.

In response to the OP.

I do notice that when we open the curtains, the fish in this tank do tend to liven up. I've also noticed they prefer feeding at that time.

My 220g planted is in a 3 sided glass sunroom with no window coverings and the tank gets some actual direct sunlight a couple hours a day (about 1/3 of the tank). Not only do the fish seem to love swimming in that area, the non-green plants have some of the best color in the tank, and I don't have an algae issue. I believe direct and indirect sunlight and how a tank reacts to it has to do with the individual chemistry of each tank. What it does in one person's tank does not mean it will happen in another person's tank.

Back
Top Bottom