Survey: Failed heater owners - did it fail on or fail off? brand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

idonthavegills

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My ideal heater setup would be two heaters with one acting as a backup, both of a make and model that fails off.
So in the interest of gathering statistical data which would benefit all, if you have had an aquarium heater fail on you …

did it fail on? (water boiled)
or fail off? (water cold)
also what brand was it?

I had a marineland stealth pro...it failed on...water was 92F. Luckily everybody survived. I'm running two fluval m100 in my 55 and they are working great!

Had an Aquatech (I believe that was the brand) 150w that failed off but was smoking above the water line. It was a fully submersible but thankfully I had it on the back wall and the dial was above the water.

I had that thing for probably 10 years and was probably due to be replaced anyway.

You should have backup heater only in saltwater tanks, where temperature is not optionnal and where the tank cost lot of $$$!

I think the owner of a 8 discus freshwater tank would disagree

I mean you better have two heaters on expensives setups... And it's ugly two heaters in a small tank, except if you have something like a sump...

If you have 8 discus, you must have a big tank, and expensive equipement, and in this case, you have expensives fishs that together have very higher value than a backup heater... Will discus die after some days without heater ??? My tanks temperature are at 22C° without heater...

The only time I get temperatures drop is when I lose power. (It happened there's few days due to the fire in the neibourgh appartment block, it stressed me for my FW tank...)

And by this, I mean don't buy cheap heater to save few bucks if you buy expensives fishs(/corals for SW)

I got two 300watts on my 125 Discus tank. I wouldn't never have just one to maintain a 85* temp. Btw they are Aqueon and they are doing great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I got two 300watts on my 125 Discus tank. I wouldn't never have just one to maintain a 85* temp. Btw they are Aqueon and they are doing great.

But in your case you need the two just to maintain temperature...

My first heater is a 50w no name one I think, and it's really big crap !!! My second one is a 100w fluval, it do the job great since 8 month, but I get temp fluctuations with it. My third one is a Eheim 100w for my SW since 1 month, and the temperature is perfect stable at +- 0.1C°.

The one I enjoy the most is the Eheim one, it's submersible, stable and steady, and now I trust Eheim more than everything else. I have eheim filtration too.

Back
Top Bottom